• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Passing as std::basic_istream TCHAR

This topic is 3843 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need to call a function with the following prototype: XmlDocument( std::basic_istream< TCHAR > & stream ) I'm trying to open a file and pass the stream in, but I can't figure out how to convert an istream into the right form.

Advertisement

std::basic_ifstream<TCHAR> ifs("file.xml");

XmlDocument(ifs);

What IDE and compiler? In case you didn't know TCHAR just takes the form of whatever character type is set as the default (usually char for ASCII and wchar_t for Unicode) so if you just set the default character set to be ASCII it should work since std::istream really is std::basic_istream<char>. If you actually care for Unicode characters then you shouldn't use std::istream in the first place, but rather std::basic_istream< TCHAR > if you want to be able to switch or std::wistream if you only care about Unicode characters.

In Visual Studio you change the character set by right-clicking on your project, going to properties and in the General tab you change Character Set from Use Unicode Character Set to Use Multi-byte Character Set.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement