What's the easiest solution to a simple 2D/3D game for beginner?

Started by
4 comments, last by hAmmeRoL 16 years, 9 months ago
Hello everyone, I am a foreigner who decided to build a simple 2D or 3D game(depending on my free time) using c++. I am an intermediate c++ programmer but still a freshman in the gamedev field. My question is, what is the easiest solution to a simple 2d/3d game for me? The learning curve is my primary concern. I would like to use dev c++ or codeblocks as my ide, can anyone recommend some easy-to-use api for me? I found some api like SDL, Allegro, Ogre ... There are so many out there and I am totally confused. I would really be appreciated if you guys can point out a solution for me. The solution can be composed of ide, api and any other tools that might be useful for me. Thank you all p.s. My english is not really good, so if I do not make myself clear or I used wrong words, then you have my apology.
Advertisement
SDL is pretty good for beginners, although beware that unless you are a fairly confident programmer it can still be difficult to use.

OpenGL is also relatively easy to program with.

If you are interested in making a GAME with as little fuss as possible then you might be better off with a pre-built engine such as the RPG maker apps or Genesis3D ?
_________My Blog
If you are interested in learning how to do 3D graphics, you should find http://nehe.gamedev.net immensely useful.

In general, do you know what type of game you want to make?

Quote:Original post by hAmmeRoL
p.s. My english is not really good, so if I do not make myself clear or I used wrong words, then you have my apology.

Your English is just fine, and in fact better than many of the people posting in For Beginners. :)
We''re sorry, but you don''t have the clearance to read this post. Please exit your browser at this time. (Code 23)
Thank you guys.
The RPG maker things are not what I am looking for
Maybe I would try SDL and opengl.
And the site erissian mentioned would do me real good.

Thanks again!
I've used DirectDraw and SDL in the past, and right now I'm playing with Haaf's Game Engine. Since it's an engine, I don't have to care about much of the stuff that I had to care about when using a lower level framework or API. So far, I'm pretty happy with it, since it saves me a lot of time.

However, for really fast development and prototyping, I use Python (and PyGame). I can get results with it much faster than with a language like C++ - even though I've only used Python for the last 3 or 4 months.

Personally, I'd stick to a 2D game first, since 3D games involve a lot more math, which can take quite some time and thought - time you can spend learning the basics of game-development instead. It depends on what you want to learn though: creating a game, or understanding the basics of 2D and 3D rendering?
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Quote:Original post by Captain P
I've used DirectDraw and SDL in the past, and right now I'm playing with Haaf's Game Engine. Since it's an engine, I don't have to care about much of the stuff that I had to care about when using a lower level framework or API. So far, I'm pretty happy with it, since it saves me a lot of time.

However, for really fast development and prototyping, I use Python (and PyGame). I can get results with it much faster than with a language like C++ - even though I've only used Python for the last 3 or 4 months.

Personally, I'd stick to a 2D game first, since 3D games involve a lot more math, which can take quite some time and thought - time you can spend learning the basics of game-development instead. It depends on what you want to learn though: creating a game, or understanding the basics of 2D and 3D rendering?

Really good suggestions. I would try HGE and in the mean time, learn basics of 2d 3d rendering.
Thank you guys for the help~~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement