• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Please point me in the right direction!

This topic is 3843 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I used to program quite a bit and left it and these forums. I don't remember one single thing about programming cuz I think I started wrong and bored myself to death. Anyways, I wanted to start from the very beginning again, so I read the article on breaking into game development. I read about how I should start with a tetris clone. The only problem is, I don't know how to go about doing that. What language do I use and whatnot? I personally want to use C or C++ to get used to it, but is it not an option or is there something better I can use? Please point me in the right direction! ;) Thanks for any help, IN1L8

Advertisement
Honestly if you have limited or no knowledge of programming you should start off by finding a language you like and learning it, then move on to actually writing a game. As far as languages go I imagine alot of people will say some good languages to learn are python (and you could use pygame), C# (with XNA) or a flavour of basic. With any of these languages you can learn the fundamentals of programming and move on to C++ later, with a knowledge of C# especially you should fnd the transition less painful :D.

Thats just my opinion though, I personally use C# mainly and dabble with XNA but I don't have any ambitions of being a games developer so I don't have to worry about what is the industry standard.

cheers

Jon

Thank you very much! I used to use basic, so that shouldn't be too hard to relearn it. I'll also look into C# because I really haven't before and Python I dabbled with and instantly hated it, dunno why. Anyways, thanks again and if anyone else has any tips or information, please feel free to share =D

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement