Please point me in the right direction!

Started by
1 comment, last by IN1L8 16 years, 9 months ago
Hello, I used to program quite a bit and left it and these forums. I don't remember one single thing about programming cuz I think I started wrong and bored myself to death. Anyways, I wanted to start from the very beginning again, so I read the article on breaking into game development. I read about how I should start with a tetris clone. The only problem is, I don't know how to go about doing that. What language do I use and whatnot? I personally want to use C or C++ to get used to it, but is it not an option or is there something better I can use? Please point me in the right direction! ;) Thanks for any help, IN1L8
[insert witty comment here]
Advertisement
Honestly if you have limited or no knowledge of programming you should start off by finding a language you like and learning it, then move on to actually writing a game. As far as languages go I imagine alot of people will say some good languages to learn are python (and you could use pygame), C# (with XNA) or a flavour of basic. With any of these languages you can learn the fundamentals of programming and move on to C++ later, with a knowledge of C# especially you should fnd the transition less painful :D.

Thats just my opinion though, I personally use C# mainly and dabble with XNA but I don't have any ambitions of being a games developer so I don't have to worry about what is the industry standard.

cheers

Jon
Thank you very much! I used to use basic, so that shouldn't be too hard to relearn it. I'll also look into C# because I really haven't before and Python I dabbled with and instantly hated it, dunno why. Anyways, thanks again and if anyone else has any tips or information, please feel free to share =D
[insert witty comment here]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement