Converting a 2D Sphere Coordinate Into a 3D Normal.

Started by
11 comments, last by alvaro 16 years, 9 months ago
You know when you make a 3D sphere how your making 2D circle and changing its radius by a sine wave that means you have a 2D coordinate like latitude and longitude. I need to make it in to a 3D normal how do I do this is there any site that that would tell me how? if so please give me a link. or if you have any ideas or can help me describe this better.
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight club
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by EmptyVoid
You know when you make a 3D sphere how your making 2D circle and changing its radius by a sine wave that means you have a 2D coordinate like latitude and longitude. I need to make it in to a 3D normal how do I do this is there any site that that would tell me how? if so please give me a link. or if you have any ideas or can help me describe this better.
A Google search for 'spherical coordinate conversion' should turn up some good references. Meanwhile, here's the 'spherical to Cartesian' function from the CML:

/* Convert spherical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates in R3 */template < typename E, class A > voidspherical_to_cartesian(E radius, E theta, E phi, size_t axis,    SphericalType type, vector<E,A>& v){    typedef vector<E,A> vector_type;    typedef typename vector_type::value_type value_type;    /* Checking */    detail::CheckVec3(v);    detail::CheckIndex3(axis);        if (type == latitude) {        phi = constants<value_type>::pi_over_2() - phi;    }    value_type sin_phi = std::sin(phi);    value_type cos_phi = std::cos(phi);    value_type sin_phi_r = sin_phi * radius;    // Note: cyclic_permutation() computes i, j, and k as follows:    // i = axis    // j = (i + 1) % 3    // k = (j + 1) % 3    size_t i, j, k;    cyclic_permutation(axis, i, j, k);    v = cos_phi * radius;    v[j] = sin_phi_r * std::cos(theta);    v[k] = sin_phi_r * std::sin(theta);}

The 'axis' argument indicates which cardinal axis (0 = x, 1 = y, 2 = z) should be considered 'up', and the 'type' argument determines whether 'phi' should be interpreted as latitude or colatitude.
I have little clue what you're talking about in most of your post. However, for a sphere, the normal at a certain point is just the vector from the origin to that point normalized.

edit: somehow didn't notice above post.
Quote:Original post by jyk
A Google search for 'spherical coordinate conversion' should turn up some good references. Meanwhile, here's the 'spherical to Cartesian' function from the CML:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***
The 'axis' argument indicates which cardinal axis (0 = x, 1 = y, 2 = z) should be considered 'up', and the 'type' argument determines whether 'phi' should be interpreted as latitude or colatitude.

Wow just looked and man I've been getting very helpful posts lately I didn't look until now because I thought it would be "just google it" or something but this is really helpful thanks. and yeah I don't make much since to my self most of the time sorry I just have bad communication skills.
OK... I don't really understand. This is as much as I can guess

float* spherical_to_normal(float x, float y){float v[3];v[0] = sin(x);v[1] = y;v[2] = cos(x);return v;}float* normal_to_spherical(float x, float y, float z){float v[2];v[0] = //don't know what goes herev[1] = //don't know what goes herereturn v;}

[EDIT]

[Edited by - EmptyVoid on July 16, 2007 8:21:47 PM]
*** Source Snippet Removed ***
What language is that?

Anyway, I posted code earlier for converting spherical coordinates (e.g. latitude and longitude) to Cartesian coordinates (e.g. a '3D normal'). Was that not what you were looking for?
It's C++ what language are you using? and yes that was exactly what I was looking for also I realized I need the opposite a 3D coordinate to a 2D one sorry my bad.

[Edited by - EmptyVoid on July 16, 2007 6:06:38 PM]
Returning the address of a temporary doesn't even work. That's really bad c++.
It's C++ what language are you using? and yes that was exactly what I was looking for also I realized I need the opposite a 3D coordinate to a 2D one sorry my bad.
Here's the function for converting in the opposite direction:

/* Convert Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates in R3 */template < class VecT, typename Real > voidcartesian_to_spherical(const VecT& v, Real& radius, Real& theta, Real& phi,    size_t axis, SphericalType type,    Real tolerance = epsilon<Real>::placeholder()){    typedef Real value_type;    /* Checking */    detail::CheckVec3(v);    detail::CheckIndex3(axis);    size_t i, j, k;    cyclic_permutation(axis, i, j, k);    value_type len = length(v[j],v[k]);    theta = len < tolerance ? value_type(0) : std::atan2(v[k],v[j]);    radius = length(v, len);    if (radius < tolerance) {        phi = value_type(0);    } else {        phi = std::atan2(len,v);        //phi = type.convert(phi);        if (type == latitude) {            phi = constants<value_type>::pi_over_2() - phi;        }    }}

Also, as alluded to earlier, the code you posted appears to contain several syntax and programming errors.
Is that better? also I don't know what most of those functions do can you make that with the C++ math library "math.h" as I said not very good with C++ more of a VB person. if not how do I use the code above is it a function? or is it some from of cool data type converter that I had no idea C++ could do? also this is the error I get when I run the code:

------ Build started: Project: nam, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
Compiling...
nam.cpp
c:\documents and settings\steven batchelor\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\nam\nam\nam.cpp(16) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'SphericalType'
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Steven Batchelor\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\nam\nam\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
nam - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

[Edited by - EmptyVoid on July 16, 2007 8:29:56 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement