• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
The_Grand_User

Not rendering when clicking the .exe (runs fine from VS2005)

This topic is 4118 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have a very perplexing problem, when I run my app by clicking the .exe file it doesn't render the scene, it clears to the correct background color and presents but doesn't render any actual triangles. However when I run it through VS2005, it's just fine. The program is a mix of managed and unmanaged code, I have the main program written in C# and the directx code in a mixed mode C++ dll (a panel inherited from a windows forms UserControl with unmanaged directx 9 drawing to it). The thing is though, it's only affecting the win32 release version, the debug version and the 64 bit versions work just fine from either Windows or VS2005. I've gone through the (fairly simple) rendering function but can't find any of the code to be wrong, and I know it's going through without any errors from directx at runtime. I've also goen through the project options for both the exe and the dll and all versions of them and can't find anything suspicious. Thanks for your help.

Advertisement
This problem usually happens due to problems with file locations. VS allows you to set a working directory for your app that's different than the exe dir. Are you sure your application is finding all the asset files it needs? If the application can't find a file, does it error out?

If the application can't find a file and doesn't error out, maybe that's why it's rendering nothing at all?

Also, you can attach a debugger to a running instance of an application. Launch the app from the exe, then attach VS to it, and start poking around, see what you find.

Hope this helps.

It's not a problem with assets (as it doesn't load any till I tell it to, it's a kind of utility program), I have a hardcoded origin and a couple other things that it's not displaying.

I didn't know you could attach VS to an already running app, I'll try it, thanks.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!