• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Vanisher

Anybody willing to walk me through this?

This topic is 4054 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, I am just fed up. I've been working at creating a simple 2d shooter in pygame for weeks now and I have made absolutely no progress. Can anybody explain to me how I'm supposed to go about doing this? Because I can't seem to figure out the techniques on my own.

Advertisement
Perhaps you could elaborate on just what you are struggling with, maybe send us some snippets of your progress so far. Your question is a bit vague ?

Hi;

Do it in small steps.

1.- Draw a Background and then put a transparent sprite over it.
2.- Move your sprite using your keyboard.
3.- Check the screen boundaries and don't let your sprite move out of your screen.
4.- Put a second sprite (your enemy) and a third one, your bullet.
5.- Check for collisions.
6.- Keep improving your code and adding functionality (animations, sound, etc).

Check out the tutorials in Pygame.

Pygame Tutorials.

Yeah, Python with Pygame is a great way to start. Python is a fantastic language for beginners.

Even more importantly, get a good grasp on the language that you're working with before you try to make games with it. It takes a while, but it helps. If you rush too fast, you'll be trying to learn many things at once - take them one at a time.

And do you have a book? Books are much more helpful, at least to me, than online tutorials.

Before we can help you with what's next, you're going to have to tell us what you've done. Have you learned your language of choice? Have you learned your graphics, input, and screen creation library of choice? Do you have no clue where to start at all? Narrow down the question and you'll get better replies.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!