european . . . .

Started by
43 comments, last by RSC_x 16 years, 9 months ago
talking about european country, what game genre you usually played? ? ? Role Playing Game Strategy Game MMORPG/FPS Action/Adveture Console Gaming other genre (specify) [Edited by - global_researcher on July 15, 2007 12:00:23 AM]
Advertisement
The same games you play.

There isn't as much American Patriotism, so games like Americas Army won't do quite as well. Also censorship is quite common. I think the German version of Carmageddon had the pedestrians depicted as zombies with green blood - another common change.

So unless you are going for a very blood-thirsty game, or a game that would only appeal to Americans there shouldn't be much difference. Of course Europeans have a different sense of what is funny or a good story so if you want to specifically target this demograph you should do more research or ask more questions.
Cheese Rolling.
Economy simulations / strategy games like settlers, anno 1701 etc are probably played more often in Germany than in the US. Germans also like conquering the world or at least Europe I think.
Quote:Germans also like conquering the world or at least Europe I think.

LOL....just LOL.

I like all kinds of games, recently I'm more into the sandbox type games, free roam is alot of fun imo.

As others said, the same games as you, with subtle differences;

Here there might be issues with games depicting extreme violence.

On the other hand, at least in my country, there are no issues with
artistic nudes depicted in a game, comic, or whatever... as long as
it doesn't go too much explicit.
Quote:Original post by umbraeAlso censorship is quite common.

Hmm, not really... It's just different things that get censored. Germany has a thing about blood (and nazi symbols), but that's one country out of a few dozen. (On the other hand, sex isn't censored or avoided the way it is in the US [wink])
Which probably leads to a much more important difference... Europe isn't one market. What sells in the UK may not sell in France, and for some countries at least, it pretty much has to be translated. (While of course, in other countries, translating it will guarantee failure)

One reason why publishers tend to prefer America over Europe is not that it's a bigger market (these days it isn't), but because it's a lot simpler to sell your game there. It's one single market. Ads that work in Texas will be fine in New York too. And you don't need to translate the game for individual states.
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
One reason why publishers tend to prefer America over Europe is not that it's a bigger market (these days it isn't), but because it's a lot simpler to sell your game there. It's one single market. Ads that work in Texas will be fine in New York too. And you don't need to translate the game for individual states.

QFT
Quote:Original post by umbrae
I think the German version of Carmageddon had the pedestrians depicted as zombies with green blood - another common change.

That was true of the UK version too, though it didn't do much good; I downloaded a red blood patch straight away ^_^

I'm not sure there are any stereotypes in Europe like there is with, for instance, the Koreans and multiplayer games and the Japanese with puzzle games. I know the Scandanavians are mad on poker, but that's about it.

Generally, I don't think there's a difference in game types. Here's one thing to bear in mind though: in a game where you get to pick your character's nationality, I think the average joe anywhere would pick their own the first time through. For instance, I much enjoyed playing as the Britons, and later the Saxons, in Rome: Total War. I remember in one of the C&C series (can't remember which) they had Korea as a playable option for one of the teams. Why did they put that in? Because they wanted the game to be popular in Korea (though if I remember correctly they totally overpowered the French in that game, so everybody played as them anyway). An obvious exception to this is that most Germans wouldn't want to play as Nazis in a WWII game, though I don't expect WWII games would be too popular in Germany anyway. Usually it's best to make your "bad guys" free from nationality.

One thing that sometimes bugs me is the use of American accents for the entire English speaking world. Anybody seen the new Assassin's Creed trailers? Despite everybody else sounding middle-eastern, the main character has this cliche holywood American accent, which was a real turn-off for me (though the game itself looks stonking I might add).
Quote:Original post by Eternal
Economy simulations / strategy games like settlers, anno 1701 etc are probably played more often in Germany than in the US. Germans also like conquering the world or at least Europe I think.

You'd think that with the explosion of WW2 based games we've had recently someone would have had the balls to make one from the Germans perspective by now.

Make no mistake, I'm not a Nazi sympathiser (did I really have to say that?) but I'm sure there are many aspects of the German campaign that could be turned into a videogame, without an instant knee jerk reaction.

The "July 20 Plot" would be a good example, when Claus von Stauffenberg attempted to assassinate Hitler.

With that said though, I always think its funny when I'm playing a game like Medal of Honour or Call of Duty, just how many Germans I mercilessly gunned down, and how not one single German game allows you to return the favour. After all, games are a work of fiction, why should some subjects automatically be considered "taboo"?

Eternal, your profile says you are actually a German, perhaps you can tell me if any games exists on the market from any aspect of the German campaign (except grand strategy games like Rise of Nations of course), and what would be the reaction to it in Germany? How far could you go without being branded a Nazi lover?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement