• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jamaicandude

Engines/games written in pure C not C++

This topic is 4115 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been trying what to write a game with. language wise. i've used java doesnt work. C# i like but for now cant use it cause i'm gonna be using linux. C++ i like but for some reason i like the C style of writing programs. but i wanna know if there are any commercial console/pc games written in C no C++. thanks.

Advertisement
I don't believe it's possible to use managed directx on Linux at all. Therefore, either your using windows, thus C# and managed dx is possible, or your using linux, where although c# is possible dx is not.

Might i suggest a dual boot?

i want to give up windows completely thats why i'm using allegro library and C and
i plan to move to allegrogl. i just want to know if C is still used in games. also OOP dont seem to agree with me. i guess i just like the C style more.

Can you write games in pure C? Yes of course you can, but why would you want to? There is a reason that people have moved over to OO programing. It is easier to code, debug and test if it is done right. The problem with functional programming is that if you need to make changes you end up having to make changes in a lot of different places. That is one of the major reasons OO programing took off. You keep all your changes in just a few places.

theTroll

First, I'd wonder what you mean by "used java doesn't work". In my experience, it works just fine. As for commercial games written in C that you can look at, I believe that Quake III was written in C, and the source to that engine is publicly available under the GPL.

Quake2 was written in C, the source is freely available.

I'd recommend to learn C++ over C anyway, because there's really little to benefit from sticking with C. Carmack used it for the Quake series because it was the only thing around when he started programming, so he was most proficient and comfortable with that. As far as syntax goes, you can program in a procedural style with C++ just as well, so that's a non-issue.

EDIT:
Quote:
Original post by lightbringer
First, I'd wonder what you mean by "used java doesn't work". In my experience, it works just fine. As for commercial games written in C that you can look at, I believe that Quake III was written in C, and the source to that engine is publicly available under the GPL.

Quake3 was already partly written in C++, as far as I know.

Quote:
Original post by Prototype
Quake3 was already partly written in C++, as far as I know.

Nope, looks like all C. Well, I didn't exactly check every single source file, but there's not a whiff of C++ in there from what I can tell. It even has a bit of assembly :-)

Quote:
Original post by lightbringer

well i looked around and i could find little thinks related to games. i mean i like the whole embedded games in web browser thing but i can do that in flash cause i learned that from web class so but yeah. so your saying C is phased out like the 60gb ps3?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!