Engines/games written in pure C not C++

Started by
20 comments, last by wodinoneeye 16 years, 9 months ago
With C, you'd just be setting yourself up for a world of pain. C++ is useful if you actually want to work in this industry, but for the rest of us hobby game developers, there are some alternatives. Things you might want to look at:

JGO
LWJGL
JME
PyGame

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by jamaicandude
i wanna know if there are any commercial console/pc games written in C no C++.

Someone here on the forum mentioned and quoted that one of the developers of halo said that halo was written in c.

i wanna know if there are any commercial console/pc games written in C no C++.

thanks.

I think the better question is, are there any commercial console/pc game written in C++ no C. The answer would obviously be no, although many are mostly C++ they all have some C code in them. There is no shortage of C code in modern commercial software. Some of them don't even use STL :o
Programming since 1995.
Quote:Original post by TheTroll
Can you write games in pure C? Yes of course you can, but why would you want to? There is a reason that people have moved over to OO programing. It is easier to code, debug and test if it is done right. The problem with functional procedural programming is that if you need to make changes you end up having to make changes in a lot of different places. That is one of the major reasons OO programing took off. You keep all your changes in just a few places.

theTroll

Functional programming and procedural programming are completely different.
Why not just use c# and opengl? That works great in linux. Check out the tao framework, it provides opengl bindings for c#. Combine that with the c# bindings for SDL and OpenAl, and you have a very nice set of libraries for game development.
I think the torque engine is written in c.
I dream hard of helping people.
Your question could be answered at two levels.

Yes, there have been and still are games which are written entirely in C (with some assembly thrown in) on consoles, computers and other devices. Some of these were or are commercial games backed by professional developers. More generally, the C language may well be used by an experienced and competent C programmer to develop a far better game (both in terms of user experience and in terms of code quality) than if developed by an average programmer of another language—I have seen it happen, and it's a beautiful thing to witness. On the other hand, this does require a fair amount of experience and intelligence to get done, and that is much harder to gather than an average amount of experience in, say, Java or C#.

However, your question specifically asked about commercial games, so there seems to be an underlying notion of you writing professional games in the C language. As an independent, it's possible. On the larger "employment" scale of professional development, however, fluency in the C programming language is only an asset if you are just as fluent in other programming languages (and paradigms) as well. In particular, the expert C programmer I mentioned above accomplished tasks with such efficiency because he incorporated many Object-Oriented principles in his (still mostly procedural) design.

So, by restricting yourself to the C language, you can expect to develop games if you are skilled enough, but you should not expect to land a job unless you learn to efficiently use other languages as well.
Quote:Original post by Aiursrage

well i know it was written in C++ ;)

Quote:Original post by Aiursrage

well i know it was written in C++ ;)

From what I recall of seeing a friend who tried to use it, it was C++, just bad C++ (again it was a brief look but it was bad, that much I recall clearly).

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

I think there are some MUDs written in C. Of course they're MUDs and not graphic, so there's not much interest in them usually... (perhaps unfortunately).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement