What's right for me, Realm Crafter or Torque?

Started by
8 comments, last by razoorsharp 16 years, 9 months ago
hello, i'm waw...obv. ok, on to important things.. I'm here to ask a question about the products Torque and Realm Crafter when creating a mmorpg. Now, I know most people don't keep working with it but I am hoping to take it far... anyways... what is better for me? I want something highly customizable with a script in which I can be self taught and make it work how I want it to. And, the big current question is... how easy is it for somebody to play? I mean, do they have to have Flash? Or what? Do they have to pay for TORQUE as well as subscribe to play my game or what? Hopeful to your replies... thanks
Advertisement
Neither requires the end-user to have any special runtimes. Both require only that you purchase the development license.. no royalties or end-user fees are required.

As for MMORPG creation, Realm Crafter would be significantly easier to use. It uses a language similar to that of Blitz Basic and is intended for MMORPGs. It is much easier to use for a non-programmer.

Using Torque for an MMORPG will be significantly more difficult, as you will have to be proficient in both C++ and network programming. Torque is not made for MMORPGs. It is possible to add that functionality, but quite a project on its own.

Technical aspects aside, I feel the need to insist that making an MMORPG is a massive undertaking, even for an experienced team. Be wary that even a more 'friendly' engine such as Realm Crafter will still require a great amount of work and learning.
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
Please forgive me for saying so ... but I'm not to sharpest tool in the shed, but what I've found which works well is to get your game logic working in text mode to the best of your ability first.

The reasons for this is you'll learn tons and tons of information about how computers work, and all the basics which you need to master anyways for any other thing like OpenGL, SDL, and winsock coding which can be used for later game look-and-feel advances.

I'm not writing an MMO, I'm writing a small RPG with the ability to be put On-line, (or what I call: an On-line RPG.) I would recommend grabbing Sam's Teach youself c/c++ in 21 and dig into that.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I've just found that this path has been very helpful to tackle all the hard stuff I've come across and has allowed me to understand the harder stuff as a result. I hope my words have helped.
BladeStoneOwner, WolfCrown.com
[opinion]
Wiseandworthy, I don't want you to take this as a slam against you but if you have to ask that question then you are not ready to be making a MMORPG. If you scale the difficulty of game programming projects from 1-100, then a MMORPG is about 1,000. If you really want to make one then you should start a with a lower bar. Start with a simple RPG, learn how that works. Now you can use your ideas for your MMORPG for the RPG part. The same rules and scripts, it will just be single player. Then move on to a multi-player RPG from the single player RPG. Get it some 6 players or so can work in a party, go on quests together, chat, trade items, ect. Then after you get that working well, then move on to the MMORPG version.

Right now you are all fired up about your projects, that is normal. But after 6 months of work and you have nothing to play at all it starts to wear you down. So start small, get something you can play and see it working and build off of it. Now doing it this way, you will have to go back and rewrite some stuff that doesn't scale properly but that is easier then trying to write it all from nothing.

theTroll

[/opinion]
Definitly Realmcrafter. (As it allows you to make a small generic mmo with very little effort and virtually no knowledge at all).

If you want something unique.. well then TheTroll is pretty much spot on.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
ok, well, i wanted to go with Realmcrafter, and no body has offended me, I appreciate all your words.

So, here is my question then: say bob wants to play my realm crafter orpg/mmorp or whatever it would be at said time. what does his computer need to play it?
You should ask on their forums. They'd know, since they developed it.
you can't get on realm crafter forums unless you own it

you're my hero!!!

thank you to all of you

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement