Putting things together

Started by
9 comments, last by lester91 16 years, 9 months ago
Hello, this could be a very noob question.. but i really dont have a place to go when it comes down to game programming and people here seemed to answer normally. If I have models made by 3D's Studio Max, such as, A character, a bullet, a gun and if I have a map, how do I code/get-it-to-work, I want to have a level/map with a character in it, with a gun and able to shoot. Also, whats a good site or tutorial to make a very basic fps, and i dont mean with stories and all that, just so u can walk and shoot around in a map. Id like to experiment with this, any answers or suggestions?
Advertisement
Click on Resources at the top of this page.
Then click the For Beginners menu item.
Starting from there, you can learn how to do all the things you're asking about.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
could you give me a direct link to the line or book it recommends?
Once you've got some models put together, it's in no way trivial to actually build a game around them. Game programming is pretty difficult (just look through the developer journals and see how many of us actually FINISH games). However, you could probably use a pre-built engine like the Torque Game Engine. Last I checked it was around $100 but, from what I hear, well worth it.
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson
Quote:Original post by lester91

This book might be of use to you, though it assumes you have prior experience with C++ and DirectX.
Here.
i might be asking much, but is there a tutorial for something that i wanted specific? else i might order that book you've posted up, title says all i want to make basicly..
You may want to mod some existing FPS games first, to get an idea of what goes on behind the curtain. It won't teach you exactly how the code behind it works, but it will give you more insight in the various things involved. I've built levels for the past 6 or 7 years, and it gave me a lot of insight that I'm finding very helpfull now that I'm building games myself.

For example, a game needs to be rendered, sound needs to be played, collisions between characters and the world, and other objects, need to be detected, and handled, game objects need to be managed, the way they communicate with each other plays a role, user input needs to be relayed to them, and so on. That's a lot of stuff to deal with, which is why people that want to build a game use existing engines - people that decide to build their own engine often end up writing a tech-demo instead.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Quote:Original post by ExcessNeo
Quote:Original post by lester91

This book might be of use to you, though it assumes you have prior experience with C++ and DirectX.
Here.

I don't have experience in this, do u have the book yourself?
I learn fast on subjects and programs so I don't know if i should worry about that, but i know that this subject is totally something different.

is there any book that is the same without these requirements?

I also recommend modding a game first, such as Half-Life 2, to get an idea. If you really want to do coding you could learn some C++ and use Irrlicht for your 3D engine. Its really easy and they have somewhat of an editor made.
lester91,

you are seriously underestimating how hard it is to program a game. It is time to think about what you actually want to do. Do you want to be a programmer? Then prepare start at the very beginning and spend years. Do you want to be an artist? Then mod a game. That is the best that you can do without spending a long time. Even that is hard.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement