Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Anonymous Poster

Voxels - implementing a height field

This topic is 6598 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How about using splines? Obviously, you'd still need to perspective project all the control points, but a x*y height field can usually be represented with greater detail by much less than x*y control points. (Depending on how much you need angular slopes).

Just a thought...

/Niels

Guest Anonymous Poster
I have been trying to delveop an algorithm that would be the basis of a voxel-type engine (a.k.a. using a height field). My current strategy is to use a base n-gon and then extend lines from the base n-gon to the heights specified in the height field map. I had hoped to simply take the normal of the base n-gon and then for each point in the n-gon use the formula P=Po + k*normal, (where k = height) to determine the far points in R3 space. My question has to do with perspective projection. Can anyone think of a way that I can projective project just the base n-gon and then be able to find the far points. What I DON'T want to do is calculate every point across the entire heighfield and then have to perspective project each point. I want to avoid the divide involved in the perspective projection.

I hope this question makes some assemblence of sense as it was more difficult to explain than I had hoped.

-PsyOps