• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

IPv4 or IPv6

This topic is 3938 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to start develop a multiplayer application. My question is very simple! IPv4 or IPv6 ??? there's some library to use both protocol layer? Thanks

Advertisement
IPv6 does not have widespread deployment right now, and some people say that it possibly never will. IPv4 with NAT on each client site is the current de-facto standard for the Internet.

If you want to ship IPv6, you probably have to also ship some kind of IPv6 connectivity solution, such as Teredo, because most clients are not IPv6 configured today.

code it for ipv4 but design it so ipv6 support can be added latter with minimal recoding, interface changes and ugly hacks

Both of course, since TCP and UDP (and SCTP) all run over IPv6 just aswell as they do over IPv4. One of the main problems with IPv6 not getting widespread deployment is the lack of demand for it, which is due to a lack of applications using it. (I have a /64 IPv6 block piped to my IPv4 address, using 6to4 tunnelling).

Supporting both shouldn't be too much trouble, just bear in mind anytime you do conversion between the text representation and binary form that you'll need to check what address type it is. Also sending the address over the wire you'll obviously need more space for a IPv6 address, 16 bytes rather than 4.

Regards
elFarto

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement