• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bietz

robot simulator: should I use a physics engine?

This topic is 4022 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everybody, I'm working on a simulator for a robot (DirectX - C++), and I was wondering if I should better use a physics engine rather than coding the physics myself (which would be very tough). The robot has two wheels at the back which a motor each, and there is a front wheel free to turn. There are some pics of the robot: http://yves.gufflet.free.fr/SYR/ I already tried to find some formulas that would give me a rotation angle and a velocity vector from the speed of each motor, but I couldn't really find one... Either I could ask for help for all that kind of stuff, but still I don't think I would be able to do all the physics, because a simulator requires high-level physics. -->Do you think I should use a physics engine? Which one should I use? I took a look at ODE, and I think it is what I'm going to use, but I don't really know how to apply it to my 3D model. Could you tell me how to do that? Thanks in advance, Alberto

Advertisement
Maybe I should use and learn PhysX. That's what Microsoft Robotics Studio Simulation environment uses, and it seems to work well for robotics...

Any suggestions?

Depending on your purpose, a physics engine could be a perfect fit. By that, I mean, if you really only care about pathfinding and moving with simple object avoidance, you could just use an AI solution and no physics at all. If you need to move over complex terrain, and would like to have the robot react more realistically with its encounters with the environment, then a physics engine would be a good idea, rather than try to write physics yourself.

I think most of the freely available physics engines could do a good job for you. I know ODE and Bullet ship with stable vehicle simulations. And PhysX certainly would be a fine choice with professional support available, and this would give you hardware acceleration if you happen to have the PhysX board.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!