• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Creating transparent click through window

This topic is 3933 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I am porting a simple c# project to DirectX because it performs too slowly. it is basically an animated cursor ( but the animation happens in response to real time user input, so using the animate cursor API calls is out). I created a transparent window, made it click-thru, and then drew on to that ( I created a 30Hz timer to do the drawing). even at 30Hz it is consuming 20% CPU so I would like to switch to DirectX. running a sample programme from my DirectX book creates a window with some rotating image on it. now how to make this window transparent? and how to make it click-thru? many thanks for reading, Sam

Advertisement
To my knowledge, you can't.

D3D overrides the typical GDI/WIN32 routes. All it really grabs is the message pump so it can keep track of your window, but it interacts with the display hardware at a lower level than your regular .NET/Win32 graphics rendering.

Have a search around, but from the various discussion threads I've seen you can't mix standard Win32/GDI transparencies with D3D.

hth
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement