Newb looking for his first level editor

Started by
6 comments, last by mntlinstituteflr 16 years, 9 months ago
Hey guys, Newb here. I want to get my hands on my first level editor in hopes of developing level design skills. I love platformers, action games, & action rpgs. What would you guys recommend to me as my first level editor? I am thinking UnrealEd maybe too advanced... Thanks! [Edited by - smallsoft on July 15, 2007 10:44:56 PM]
Advertisement
Why do you think you need a level editor?
I got the impression that level editors are a fundamental tool of game design. Want to start tinkering around with one in hopes of developing design skills.
Try DeleD Lite. It's free, and there is a community full of helpful people there, that can help you get started. www.delgine.com
Thanks!
If you own Half-Life or Half-Life 2, I'd recommend picking up the Hammer editor and playing with that one. DeleD is good, but Hammer will let you actually play what you've created as a Half-Life level, so you can drop in guns/enemies/triggers/etc and it'll work without you having to write any code.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Almost every FPS on the PC has a map editor, so if you own a first person shooter, just try and find a map editor for it. Good place to look is http://www.filefront.com
I remember I started with UnrealEd. That atleast got me the basic principles. However, I agree with Ravuya, why use a level editor? Just months after using UnrealEd, the Hammer Editor, and WorldScape I moved on to 3ds Max. Yes, it might be very confusing, but do not worry... you will get the hang of it. I'd say get the trial of 3ds Max and then find some tutorials for beginners on www.3dtotal.com. Good luck, and remember to not give up!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement