• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mybowlcut

SDL with VC 8

This topic is 4164 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I'm trying to install SDL on my computer (XP). I have Visual Studio 8, which doesn't appear to be supported on the SDL site under the development libraries (Win32). Does anyone know if having a later version will affect the installation? Cheers.

Advertisement
Those libraries will for with your version of visual studio. I've gotten them to work on VC++ 6, 7, and 8 express.

Quote:
Original post by Lazy Foo
Those libraries will for with your version of visual studio. I've gotten them to work on VC++ 6, 7, and 8 express.

Oh, ok. Cheers, I used your tutorial and it worked... one question. Do I have to do that every time I create a new project? Also, I've never had to use
int argc, char* args[]
as arguments for main... If I leave those out now, using the project settings I've made for SDL, it gives me a link error. :O

Also, following your VC express 8 tut, can I debug using
Multi-Threaded DLL
, or do I have to change it to
Multi-Threaded Debug DLL
?

Quote:
Original post by Mybowlcut
Quote:
Original post by Lazy Foo

Oh, ok. Cheers, I used your tutorial and it worked... one question. Do I have to do that every time I create a new project? Also, I've never had to use
int argc, char* args[]
as arguments for main... If I leave those out now, using the project settings I've made for SDL, it gives me a link error. :O

Yeah you'll have to do that every time you create a project. You can just do what I do and reuse the same project.

SDL requires you declare you main function like that for cross platform compatibility.

Quote:
Also, following your VC express 8 tut, can I debug using
Multi-Threaded DLL
, or do I have to change it to
Multi-Threaded Debug DLL
?

IIRC, Visual Studio will give you a warning if you use "Multi-Threaded Debug DLL". I don't really use visual studio all that much so I can't really tell you the difference between using either one, I just know "Multi-Threaded DLL" won't give you a warning..

Oh, ok. I read the thing about main too. One more thing with your tutorial... I get this error:

Warning 1 warning C4312: 'type cast' : conversion from 'uintptr_t' to 'void *' of greater size c:\everything\programs\microsoft visual studio 2005\vc\include\xlocnum 590

twice... do you know why? I wouldn't have a clue what that means... haha.

Quote:
Oh, ok. I read the thing about main too. One more thing with your tutorial... I get this error:

Warning 1 warning C4312: 'type cast' : conversion from 'uintptr_t' to 'void *' of greater size c:\everything\programs\microsoft visual studio 2005\vc\include\xlocnum 590

twice... do you know why? I wouldn't have a clue what that means... haha.

What code gave you that error?

#include "SDL/SDL.h"
#include <string>

using std::string;

const int SCREEN_WIDTH = 640;
const int SCREEN_HEIGHT = 480;
const int SCREEN_BPP = 32;

SDL_Surface* message = NULL;
SDL_Surface* background = NULL;
SDL_Surface* screen = NULL;

SDL_Surface* load_image(string filename)
{
//Temporary storage for the image that's loaded
SDL_Surface* loadedImage = NULL;
//The optimized image that will be used
SDL_Surface* optimizedImage = NULL;
//Load the image
loadedImage = SDL_LoadBMP(filename.c_str());
//If nothing went wrong in loading the image
if(loadedImage != NULL) {
//Create an optimized image
optimizedImage = SDL_DisplayFormat(loadedImage);
//Free the old image
SDL_FreeSurface(loadedImage);
}
//Return the optimized image
return optimizedImage;
}

void apply_surface(int x, int y, SDL_Surface* src, SDL_Surface* dest)
{
//Make a temporary rectangle to hold the offsets
SDL_Rect offset;
//Give the offsets to the rectangle
offset.x = x;
offset.y = y;
//Blit the surface
SDL_BlitSurface(src, NULL, dest, &offset);
}

int main(int argc, char* args[])
{
return 0;
}

:)

That error is due to some sloppy programming in the SDL library, not your code. There is a header in SDL that does something along the lines of
#ifdef WIN32
//defines uintptr_t as 32 bit address
#endif
#ifdef WIN64
//defines uintptr_t as 64 bit address
#endif

Obviously, as the compiler tries to detect any 64-bit compatibility problems in your project, the 32-bit version of uintptr_t is seen as an issue eventhough it isn't.

The only way to get around this that I know of (other than compiling in 64-bit) is to disable 64-bit compatibility warnings. There is an option for it in VC 8, under project settings->C++ I believe. The compiler flag you want is /Wp64.

Of course, that means the compiler will not detect any other 64-bit compatibility problems you may create yourself in the future.

Quote:
Original post by Hnefi
That error is due to some sloppy programming in the SDL library, not your code. There is a header in SDL that does something along the lines of
*** Source Snippet Removed ***
Obviously, as the compiler tries to detect any 64-bit compatibility problems in your project, the 32-bit version of uintptr_t is seen as an issue eventhough it isn't.

The only way to get around this that I know of (other than compiling in 64-bit) is to disable 64-bit compatibility warnings. There is an option for it in VC 8, under project settings->C++ I believe. The compiler flag you want is /Wp64.

Of course, that means the compiler will not detect any other 64-bit compatibility problems you may create yourself in the future.

Oh, I see. I think I'll disable it since I won't be making anything for 64-bit OS's anytime soon. :p

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!