I am good with design: but I need to learn how to build for games

Started by
1 comment, last by Yammine 16 years, 9 months ago
I am talented with designing models and environments, but i need to take it to the next step. Creating a 3d model and creating it for a game application are two different things. What i would like to know is: 1. What software and plugins should I be using to coinside with the industry standard? I currently am skilled with Cinema 4D. Should i look elsewhere? 2. What are the principals, guidelines, and standards for developing models for games? What should the poly count be, how do you structure the characters and so on... I really want to get into this line of work a little bit, at least play with it. If any one with experience could point me in the right direction so I can learn, thatd be fantastic. :)
Advertisement
1) "The industry" makes use of a lot of tools on the art side; I believe the more popular tools would be Max, Maya, and perhaps XSI. I haven't worked with anybody personally using Cinema 4D, but I suspect it's not too different.

2) Depends a lot on the project and the company's asset pipeline, et cetera. Hard to say in general.

Your best option might be to browse the Help Wanted section on this site for projects looking for artists and join one of those. That might help you get an idea of what the process of game development is like. Of course, hobby development is vastly different from professional development, so you have to consider that. If you want you could also try to get an artist internship at a local game development studio, if there are any nearby.
Thank you for your input. I have been keeping my eye on some internships close by. Would require more of a move, but its only a state over :).

This gives me a good place to start looking. It was difficult since i knew NOone in the business or trade.

Thanks again

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement