• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MrSparkle27

Creating render targets

This topic is 3965 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I want to implement a post effect pass into my 3d engine. That means I have to pass the render output of the previous render pass to the next render pass as a texture parameter. I suppose that is not possible to render to the same texture surface that is passed to the post effect shader, so I wonder what could be the most efficient way to create offline render targets when rendering many post passes. Do I have to create a new render target for each render pass or is it better to use two alternating render targets? Is it recommended to dispose or to re-use the render target after rendering a pass or a frame? Thank you for clearing up this mystery! Christian

Advertisement
It totally depends on what you want to do,
Let's take for example a blur sample I did, we only want to blur the cube,
so you render the cube to a texture, then you pass the texture to a blurring shader. You then render the blurred texture.

Like I said, you need to think about this and use it the way it suites you best.

I hope this helps.
Take care.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!