• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
WOsborn

FBO / Multiple Contexts

This topic is 4083 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

At work we have a rendering pipeline setup that uses pbuffers and context switching (written years ago). Im trying to go in and take the pbuffers out and replace them with FBOs. Most all of our plugins (terrain tile loaders / tree frustum culling / building frustum culling) use multithreading with multiple contexts for async asset loading and creating buffers. I have read all over that FBOs dont require context switching, but do they support it if it is currently used in an exisiting pipeline? Do I need to let all contexts know about the base FBO? Is that FBO valid/available in any of the newly created contexts? Any suggestions? -W.Osborn

Advertisement
I believe that FBO created in different OpenGL contexts are not shared, the same as texture ids, display list are not being shared across contexts. You could try calling wglShareLists() and see if that allows sharing of FBOs across contexts. You can't share across multiple threads.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!