• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Would this be a good game plan for learning?

This topic is 3936 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was originally a computer science major, but changed to engineering a year and a half into the program(so I know calc1-3,diff eqn, physics1+2,ect). I know basic c++ and Java- but I recently found more books that seem like it would be much easier to actually able to accomplish a first goal, I.E "programming a first person FPS in directX". The book is from 2004, but seems to be fairly good. I am now goipng back and relearning pointers, references, anything I cannot remember that he is talking about. I am also co-reading Frank Luna's "introduction to 3d game programming with directx9", but appears to be mostly the same from some of the directX tutorials I found on initializing and basic rendering in directX. I have used 3d modeling/animation programs for several years, but only infrequently, and am not an advanced user yet. For a game plan of trying to learn how, and be capable of creating multiple genres of games (FPS, RPG's, RTS, arcade and racing) is the way I am going about it so far a good way to go? If you could name off subjects in order that would be best to go through to be able to understand how to be able to create these, what would you reccomend? So far I have alot to do, but I want to know what to do next, or if I am skiping something that I should know that I did not realize should be needed. I have read through alot of posts, but didn't find much on actually how to go about learning everything, or other peoples experience from the begining. Thanks! [Edited by - dreams05 on July 16, 2007 4:08:13 PM]

Advertisement
Best way to figure out what it takes to make a game is to actually attempt making one. If you can get a picture or a 3d model to the screen thats enough to start from (if not study Direct X untill you can). Ask questions about things as you come across them. Thats the best learning plan IMHO.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement