• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

TCP packets ordering

This topic is 3934 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Lets say a client sends a sequence of n-bytes-sized packets using a tcp socket. The server is receiving the packets bytes in either smaller sizes chunks or even combined chunks that may contain more than a packet and a fraction...or wahtever combination possible caussed by a mess on the network or trafic... My question is the order of bytes preserved? so that we can reconstruct the packets easily on the other side? could a situation happen where portion of packet A arrives and then portion of packet B, followed by portion of A? Thanks.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by zigzag32
My question is the order of bytes preserved?

Yes. That is exactly what is preserved.

Quote:
Is it the same for UDP? If not how can I reorder or figure out which bytes belong to which packets?

By labeling them with a sequence index.

With UDP you also need to take care of lost/duplicate packets, as well as manual splitting and re-assembly for packets that exceed the MTU.

In other words, you need to re-invent the TCP.

Quote:
Is it the same for UDP? If not how can I reorder or figure out which bytes belong to which packets?

The only guarantee UDP makes is that if you receive a packet, it will be in tact. That is, if it receives a partial packet, it will drop it. So, basically, byte order will be preserved because you will not get partial UDP packets.

Note: It's still possible you can get packet B before packet A, and all that fun stuff.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement