• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RavNaz

[web] Flash instance name not being set??

This topic is 4108 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm using flash cs3 professional, and I have a movieclip which I have named "myAddHelp". "myAddHelp" exists within another movieclip called "storyboard1"., with me so far? So we have something like : storyboard1->myAddHelp. So now, I want to be able to say something like this: myAddHelp.fnMyFunc() from within "storyboard1" ( where fnMyFunc is a function within "myAddHelp" )... simple...but :-) For some reason, even though I have named the instance "myAddHelp", actionscript doesnt recognise this. It instead reverts to it's default instance name of "instance16". So it forces me to do this: instance16.fnMyFunc() Anyone know why flash might not be setting the instance name?? thanks,

Advertisement
OK, I figured it out.

Flash keyframes the instance names. So if when you put down a movie clip you dont give it a instance name, and then you go ahead and add keyframes, then the instance names will be different throughout the timeline.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!