• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
EmptyVoid

[web] Sending Emails with XAMPP

This topic is 4078 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

OK I have looked all over the Internet and can't find anything helpful found a few forums and I know I need to set my SMTP sever and stuff but what do I set it to? can someone help me lets just say I have just installed XAMPP were do I go from here?

Advertisement
Mercury is the mail server - open it up by pressing "Start" then "Admin" in the XAMPP Control Panel. You'll find "Send Mail Message" under the "File" menu.

Remember, you wont receive any mail back unless the server is running. If someone emails your mail server and it isn't running - it will be lost in space.

No I mean the mail function in php this is the error I get:

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in C:\xampp\htdocs\web\creation_successful.php on line 11

I know nothing about XAMPP or really what you're trying to do..
but from the looks of the error...it seems it can't connect to your SMTP server...ensure it is running (like AaronA said) when you try to run your PHP script.

I think the error means either your SMTP server is not installed...or port 25 (the port that is standard for SMTP) is not open/blocked.

AaronA says your mail server is Mercury (I have no idea if this is true or not)...so I'm guessing..that would be your SMTP server, try what he said and see if you can send mail from that...if you can send mail fine, but can't receive it, most likely port 25 is blocked (this is what happened to me when installing MS Exchange server..)

As for your first question
Quote:

I know I need to set my SMTP sever and stuff but what do I set it to?

I'm not sure what you mean...set what to? By Default, in PHP your mail server should be set to localhost, and port 25, which should be correct. please be more specific and i'll try to help ya get going..

I apologize if this post was absolutely no help to you ;-)
Hopefully someone more familier with XAMPP or Apache type things will respond too.

It looks like your server isnt running mate, have you been able to send a test email via mercury itself?

If you can accomplish that, then use php's ini_set() functions to manually specify the correct port and server name in your script.

Quote:
Original post by EmptyVoid
I know how to change the SMTP but it is set to port 25 and localhost and no it still does not work directly.

Is mercury not working or is your script not working? Even if your script is working perfectly, your going to get that error if the servers not up.

Before you do anything else, send a test email with mercury not using your PHP script. If that doesnt work then your server isnt configured properly, and its got nothing to do with your PHP.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!