any c++ compiler u would advise?

Started by
11 comments, last by yoporahh 16 years, 9 months ago
I just started learning c++ and dont know whice compiler i should use, so is there any particular one you would advise? Thank you.
Advertisement
What kind of computer are you using? If your using Windows, you can get Microsoft Visual C++ Express for free on their site.
I would recommend Visual C++ 2005 Express. It's free, has a great debugger and many other features. You can download it here. Just make sure you follow these steps after you've installed it. It will require you to download a lot, but it's worth it. Also, it can be a bit overwhelming at first because it might seem like it's hard to create a simple project, but after a few tutorials it will become very easy (there are video tutorials here).

By the way, there's a nice free book on C++ here.

Good luck with your studies.
Microsoft Visual C++ Express.

Quote:
Just make sure you follow these steps after you've installed it. It will require you to download a lot, but it's worth it.

Those extra steps are not required, initially. If you have nothing better to do, grab the Platform SDK and install it, but if you're a complete beginner to C++, you don't need it (the Platform SDK lets you do Win32 development, et cetera, VC++ Express ships with everything you need for vanilla C++ development).
Thanks for your replies and the links :D I'll check them out right now.
I would say Dev C++. It's free, and unlike VC++ express, comes with windows.h and such.
MingW Studio (http://www.parinyasoft.com) would be my first recommendation. Like Dev-C++, it uses the MingW compiler (obviously), but with a simpler, sleaker and more stable interface. I've had stability issues with Dev-C++.

MSVC8 express is a faster, more efficient compiler with an IDE packed with more features. But it needs the platform SDK to be of any real use and that weighs in at 400 MB, which is obscene for something as basic as a compiler and its IDE.
-------------Please rate this post if it was useful.
Quote:Original post by brandonman
I would say Dev C++. It's free, and unlike VC++ express, comes with windows.h and such.

It's also outdated, not under development any longer, and a garbage IDE. If you really don't want to use Visual Studio (which I, too, recommend), try out Code::Blocks.
Quote:Original post by Hnefi
MSVC8 express is a faster, more efficient compiler with an IDE packed with more features. But it needs the platform SDK to be of any real use and that weighs in at 400 MB, which is obscene for something as basic as a compiler and its IDE.

But jpetrie already said, the Platform SDK is *not* necessary for VC++. It's just necessary for Win32 development, OpenGL, and other things. It has no more to do with a compiler and it's IDE than any other set of libraries do.

Admittedly, VC++ is a large program, and you probably will want the platform SDK. But that's the price you pay for something so nice.
The platform SDK doesnt even take that long to download and install. Even on a rubish ADSL connection out in the countryside like mine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement