What Is The Next Stage of Game Graphics?

Started by
35 comments, last by Steadtler 16 years, 8 months ago
I hear people talk about getting games to look photorealistic. But what about (what I call) "artistic blending"? An example: Or even: (I can't find the image; it's cel-shaded pic, with a guy in a car and another guy right outside his door. i believe it's from GTA IV) Do you think we'll be getting game art as sexy as odin sphere but more fluid? edit: found the GTA pic [Edited by - Alpha_ProgDes on July 25, 2007 3:47:11 PM]

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
I think it will still be a while yet before we hit photorealism. I mean, look at how Half-Life 2 and Doom 3/Quake 4 handled things - they both took different approaches towards photorealism, and they both have a different look and feel, but are both more realistic looking. Given that each developer seems to be taking a slightly different approach to photorealism, I think we will see some more artistic representations of things. I mean, look at how the computer generated graphics were handled for Star Wars Episodes I - III. It did indeed look real, but still had an artistic flair to it.

(Seeing the picture you posted reminded me of the scenes in Star Wars: Episode II where they go to the water planet to find out about the clone armies).

I think we will get somewhat close to that, but it will be a long time until then.
Until photography was invented the general (more or less) direction for art was towards photorealism. Then painters decided there is no sense competing with photography. So maybe after reaching the level when all characters and environments are photorealistically scanned from real-life to 3D, more games will move towards abstract, stylized look (just like the images you mentioned).
Honestly, I could care less about photorealism. There's a reason your house has a door [smile]. My main "concern" is art and animation getting to the point where it looks like the image in the OP.

But carry on [smile]

Photorealism surely is going to be difficult as long as we stay in the polygon way of things, instead of adopting a ray-tracing approach?

But anyway I don't think it would be that impressive anyway. Plus, the moment we get true photo-realism, there will be a decent reason to ban FPS games.
Non-photorealistic rendering is a very interesting field. A lot of it is actually more achievable than you'd think; the problem is that it doesn't always actually look nice. Some times this is because the NPR technique is not mature enough yet (or the hardware can't do it well enough), but sometimes its just because what looks good as a still doesn't always look good in motion.

It's easily just as difficult as traditional photorealistic rendering, although the nature of the difficulty is different. A lot of fun to work with, though.
Video game graphics are really getting more advance lately and with the newer technology I wouldn't be surprised within the next 15-30 years you start seeing graphics where its like virtual reality or so realistic that it seems like your in the actual world. But thats my theory it will not be correct so don't flame me *hides* :P
Quote:Original post by jpetrie
Non-photorealistic rendering is a very interesting field. A lot of it is actually more achievable than you'd think; the problem is that it doesn't always actually look nice. Some times this is because the NPR technique is not mature enough yet (or the hardware can't do it well enough), but sometimes its just because what looks good as a still doesn't always look good in motion.

It's easily just as difficult as traditional photorealistic rendering, although the nature of the difficulty is different. A lot of fun to work with, though.

I agree, I read several terrific papers that would draw a scene has if it was drawn with paintbrushes strokes. Some of these techniques are rendering techniques, from 3D data, but most are image-based rendering.

IMO the next stage of game graphics is through real-time ray tracing. Im convinced it would be possible today with specialized hardware, and effects are so easier to do with it. Weve reached a point where each increase in rasterizing quality has become way too complex.

This is my favorite ray tracing render. The theme of the contest was "absence".
Quote:Original post by Steadtler
Quote:Original post by jpetrie

I agree, I read several terrific papers that would draw a scene has if it was drawn with paintbrushes strokes. Some of these techniques are rendering techniques, from 3D data, but most are image-based rendering.

IMO the next stage of game graphics is through real-time ray tracing. Im convinced it would be possible today with specialized hardware, and effects are so easier to do with it. Weve reached a point where each increase in rasterizing quality has become way too complex.

This is my favorite ray tracing render. The theme of the contest was "absence".

a) That's a beautiful render
b) Had you not told me it was a render, I would have thought it was photograph.
c) Do you think raytracing can produce the same effects non-photorealistic images (OP image for example)?
c1) Would it be harder or easier or just as difficult?

Quote:Original post by Moe
I think it will still be a while yet before we hit photorealism. I mean, look at how Half-Life 2 and Doom 3/Quake 4 handled things - they both took different approaches towards photorealism, and they both have a different look and feel, but are both more realistic looking. Given that each developer seems to be taking a slightly different approach to photorealism, I think we will see some more artistic representations of things. I mean, look at how the computer generated graphics were handled for Star Wars Episodes I - III. It did indeed look real, but still had an artistic flair to it.

I'd also say look at Star Wars, look at the Matrix, look at Amelie, look at Home Alone. All very different looks even in what was filmed. Go to a book store and browse the books in the photography section to see what all photographers can do with photos.

Sometimes I think people get the impression that if everything were photorealistic, everything would look the same. I think that photos and movies show that that's not true. However, I do agree that we'll probably see more and more non-photorealistic techniques created and evolved as the photorealistic problem gets closer to being "solved".

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement