• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
KyleKatarn

.blend loader?

This topic is 2553 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi :) Im looking for a tutorial which explains how to load a 3D model in .blend format. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Advertisement
The .blend format has changed a lot over the years, your best bet is to export the object or scene as another format with well known parsers (.obj, .dxf, .3ds....)

hey

Yep, if you are starting out, then I would recommend you make a WaveFront *.OBJ model loader, as the file format is very basic.

BTW, maybe THIS thread will interest you.

cyas

from what I've heard .blend files are one big dump of EVERYTHING in blender. GUI Layout and other useless info. Even the data is bloated.
Basically, its not good fro loading models into real time apps... use an exporter

Almost every new version of blender changes the .blend file format. It saves a sort of dictionary (they call it DNA) with the file so they can be (sort of) forward compatible. Each release of blender also knows how to convert from an old format .blend file to the latest format. This makes loading potentially slow, but saving is always super fast. But, this means loading a .blend file is non-trivial, and unless you include all of blenders functions to convert from old versions, you will never be 100% compatible.

Now that being said, if all you want is mesh information, you could probably process the file's DNA and extract just the mesh datablock, ignoring the rest of the file. I don't think they change the mesh format that often, so this could work.

I went the other route and have been trying to compile in blender's source directly, and that's proving to quite a challenge... =)

Blender's .blend files are not models, they are projects: they aren't meant to be used by any other program, only loaded by Blender (with excellent backwards compatibility) and saved by Blender (quite efficiently). Given this design choice, Blender comes with a wealth of exporters and a good scripting API.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!