Getting my VC++ 2005 Express port linked up to DX8

Started by
12 comments, last by d000hg 16 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by VladR
Well, any advantages of STL are immediatelly wiped out by inability to see the contents of the array.
To me, that is the biggest adantage of VC++ 2K5 over VC++6 - because it does let you see contents of arrays, vectors, maps and sets properly, even with nice little scrollable thingies when they are large. I find the new IDE and debugger absolutely wonderful.

It's definitely slower as an IDE than VC6 but I find VC6 crashes more often. It is still a great tool but it really is showing its age now. For pure C++ it is fine but it really doesn't get on well with STL.

Oh, I'm downloading the latest DX SDK and we'll see how that goes. If it is a problem I'll get in touch - assuming you have v8.1, as 8.0 misses a few important things I use.
Advertisement
Right, sod this. I just want my code to compile, I don't want to have to port a huge project I haven't looked at for over a year to an API I don't know - maybe when I get back up to speed!
Quote:Original post by d000hg
To me, that is the biggest adantage of VC++ 2K5 over VC++6 - because it does let you see contents of arrays, vectors, maps and sets properly, even with nice little scrollable thingies when they are large. I find the new IDE and debugger absolutely wonderful.

Wow. Irony aside, it`s nice that VC2k5 (or maybe VC2k3) finally manages to let you see that when debugging, but this feature has come too late for me. I`m definitely not gonna rewrite my whole engine codebase just because of that, since it would be absolutely useless with my current skill at C++. Surely, STL would have saved me lots of head-scratching and memory exceptions and pointer bug-hunting, some 3-7 yrs ago. But that time has passed and I learnt to work safely with pointers.

But, surely, for anyone starting now with C++, STL and VC2k5 is an ideal combination that`ll make him more productive day one.

Quote:Original post by d000hg
Right, sod this. I just want my code to compile, I don't want to have to port a huge project I haven't looked at for over a year to an API I don't know
I can feel your pain, exactly. Unfortunately, I can`t help you with this :-(

VladR My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

I'm SO close now. I converted a workspace to a solution, and managed to get it to compile, even the DX parts. I even got the DX libs to link in.

I'm left with one problem:
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'libci.lib'
I had a look around and MS talk about which standard libs are sued, in combination with which header versions I use, but I can't see a solution. Unless perhaps TinyXML can be to blame.
Any one faced this issue before?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement