• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Waffler

Bullet Physics Lib Use in a Game

This topic is 4114 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have started a game project and I currently have Ogre and Bullet working together (tumbling boxes), and I would like to know how I should advance to be able to achieve the following types of interaction: Non-physics based collision detection: Some objects, such as power ups, only need to be touched to be used. How would one test if objects are touching and be able to interact with each other? Non-tumbling physics collisions: In the real world people and creatures tend to stay upright when standing on sloped ground. How can I make such objects keep from falling over while at the same time being able to bump into walls, climb hills, and jump off cliffs? Terrain type interactions: For the world geometry I would need to be able to determine what type of triangle is currently being touched -- grass, dirt, road, water, etc. How might such information be stored and retrieved? Proximity and field of vision There are many types of interactions which would need to be invoked without direct physical contact. How might I be able to query for objects within an area? I would really appreciate having these questions answered, as the solutions to them do not seem entirely obvious to me. Thanks.

Advertisement
1) Sqrt distance.

2) reset rotation each frame

3) This is stored in your map format, for instance - I keep a variable called "friction" in each vertex.

4) I'm streaming all my physics object, and check against all currently active objects. Lets say, 30-40 meters ahead should do in most cases... Unless your adding physically accurate bullets etc.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!