Building a new computer

Started by
13 comments, last by nullsquared 16 years, 8 months ago
Hey everyone, For some time now, I have been planning to build myself a good PC--both cool looking, and one that will be DX 10 compatible, and a very good gaming machine. One that could play my games very well, and the ones I make. This is what I was thinking: Rosewill TU-155 Black 0.8mm SGCC Steel ATX Mid Tower (Already have) AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor ECS NFORCE4M-A (V1.1) Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce4 4X ATX AMD Motherboard XFX PVT80GTHF9 GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card This looks good: RAIDMAX Hybrid 2 RX-530SS ATX12V 530W Power Supply 100 Along with a (currently 40GB HDD, which I have), DDR2 SDRAM, And a CD/DVD R/RW drive--duel sided, if possible. This is the first time im attempting to build a PC, so Im looking for suggestions, or if there is any problems with the above list? What do you think? *edit: Fixed link. [Edited by - Crypter on July 17, 2007 8:34:32 PM]
Advertisement
A 530 W power supply is overkill for your system. I read an article somewhere that found that even a top-of-the-line system under extreme conditions pulls less than 400 W. Power supplies are generally less efficient when the power load is low. Not only will a lower-rated power supply cost less money, but it will also run cooler. As a side note, the power supply designs where you to plug in only the cables that you need are nice.

Also, consider that your video card costs more than all the other components combined. You might improve your system's performance by going with a cheaper video card and spending more on the CPU.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
It's actually better still to get a power supply that has some extra juice for future upgrades. Sucks when you throw in something and next thing you know your power supply doesn't have enough power for everything. While you might loose some efficiency, it's only going to be about 10-15%.

The last thing you wan't to do is run your power supply maxed out, it will get hot, have a shorter life span, and put more wear and tear on the psu, and psu poppin can have bad effects on the rest of the system.

I would switch brands of psu, but I wouldn't go less than 500w (based off nvidia's site that says the 6800 should use a 480, but minimum says 350), especially if you plan on adding more hard drives or a bigger processer later on. Your video card takes up about 100w. Not sure how much it takes when it's on full load.
Black Sky A Star Control 2/Elite like game
Has anyone tried this? It looks quite good...

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

To bad, if I get it, I'll need a different mobo...
Moving to Hardware.
This one would work:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor

What do you think?

Also, what brand of psu would you recommend?

Thanks[smile]
Quote:Original post by Crypter
Has anyone tried this? It looks quite good...

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

To bad, if I get it, I'll need a different mobo...

Great chip, wait till July 22nd drop in price to $266!!!!

If I didn't already have my E6600 I would get that chip without a doubt. I have the Intel 975X BX2 MB and love it. I have built many systems over the last 10years and can say this is the best board I have every owned. I have Mushkin RAM 6GB and moving to Vista Ultimate 64bit soon. I also have the 8800GTS 640MB card, I had the GTX but sold it with my last system and thought Nvidia was going to update to a dual GPU in one card back last winter, well they didn't so I wish now I would have gotten the GTX at times due to I run a 24" WS LCD @ 1920x1200 so the extra HP would be nice.

Myself I have an Antec 650 watt PS from Best Buy. It's quiet and so far had no issues with it. If you get a cheap PS you may regret it down the road due to instability issues...

PCPower and cooling, Antec, Enermax are all good PS, but PC Power and cooling is the best out of that group, IMO.
Thanks[smile] I'll look into it.

The mobo I linked to was out of stock (Ugh.)

This doesnt look bad though:

ECS Elitegroup SOCKET AM2, NFORCE4 ,ATX NFORCE4M-A (V1.1)

From Amazon.com.
Quote:Original post by Crypter
Thanks[smile] I'll look into it.

The mobo I linked to was out of stock (Ugh.)

This doesnt look bad though:

ECS Elitegroup SOCKET AM2, NFORCE4 ,ATX NFORCE4M-A (V1.1)

From Amazon.com.

Ah, you can't use an intel chip with an AMD MB...
Im going to use the Athlon AMD cpu I posted in the OP.

Unless I wait and get the Intel chip when the price drops..?

Perhaps I'll just wait 'til the 22nd, get the Intel chip, come up
with new specs, and repost to approve of it at GDNet[smile]

*edit: I ment OP not AP :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement