• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Red Dragon 333

New to programming...VERY new

This topic is 3983 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, i'm 14 years old and am trying to learn how to program games, a couple of years ago i tried, and got a book called "Beginning c++ game programming" by Michael Dawson, but i gave up because everything was way over my head. I'm back again to see if i can understand it and i read about 10 pages and understand about half of it but it's so hard to understand some of it i find myself drifting off...any ideas?

Advertisement
C++ is a pretty tough place to start. You might want to try VB or C#. My personal suggestion would be C#. We have a workshop going right now if you want to learn.

theTroll

You might want to start with an easier language like BASIC or even a scripting language like LUA.

I found C++ easy to learn, but that's partially because I already was familiar with the syntax. That's because I was using Game Maker just before learning C++, and GM's scripting language features a nearly identical syntax.

So one option would be to take a little detour and use Game Maker and its scripting language to pick up some familiarity with the syntax. Another option would be to just learn another language first like I mentioned earlier, like BASIC.

This is the link to the C# workshop.
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/default.asp?pid=84

theTroll

Visual Basic Express IDE/compiler (free): http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vb/

Game Maker (free/shareware): http://www.gamemaker.nl

If you choose to start out with GM, I wouldn't recommend staying with it for too long. Just learn what you need to learn and move on to something more professional.

Quote:
Original post by Red Dragon 333
Ok, i'm 14 years old and am trying to learn how to program games, a couple of years ago i tried, and got a book called "Beginning c++ game programming" by Michael Dawson, but i gave up because everything was way over my head. I'm back again to see if i can understand it and i read about 10 pages and understand about half of it but it's so hard to understand some of it i find myself drifting off...any ideas?

Reading books isnt enough. You have to actually program (and fix your programs) to learn effectively. Start with simple things and slowly add more complex aspects. Too many people think that programming is just a matter of reading the books. Its not. You have to learn how to recombine the bits they show in the examples to do what YOU want. You have to learn how to use the tools and how to 'think' computer.

Dont be discouraged that you got nowhere after a few pages and a few hours. Ive been a programmer twice as long as you have been alive and still I learn new things every day and continue having to develop new skills and knowledge.

I noticed that most people are telling you to check out different languages, but the truth is that if you seriously want to get into c++ game development then you are better off sticking at it.
I think the problem lays with your starting point, the book "begining c++ game development". Most game development books, in any language assume you have got at least a basic understanding of the language. First you should either buy a book or look online for some tutorials for the very basics of c++. learn how to make console applications before anything else.

and dont give up!

Blu

I'd just like to back up what wodinoneeye is saying, you do need to actually work through programming exercises in order to learn effectively, simply reading through the book isn't really enough.

The suggestion from the others of joining up with the recently started C# Workshop (Introduction to the workshop, signup thread for the workshop) is probably also a good one however; all the materials and tools needed to join in are freely available and you would then have the support of the others taking part as well as all the additional exercises provided whilst learning.

Either way, you'll need to choose an option and stick with it for a while, programming isn't something that comes to most people easily when they first start out, but with a bit of work and plenty of practice most people are able to get the hang of at least the basics.

Hope that helps. [smile]

[Edited by - Kazgoroth on July 23, 2007 12:34:33 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!