• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AryaV

Where to go now?

This topic is 3990 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, guys! Well, I'm extremely new to the C++ language. I have done things such as DM, and some VB in the past, and decided to take on the most challenging of them all; C++. 2 weeks, I started reading "Beginning C++ Programming through Game Programming" by Michael Dawson, and had just recently finished it. I hadn't done all the examples and such, but I have a very good memory and pretty sure I can remember most of the syntax. But, since closing that book, I'm confused on where I should go next. It's hard to find a good book, too, right now, because now I am in Iran at the time, and would like to get some programming and such done here. Any help, friends? Thank you in advance! -Arya V.

Advertisement
I would recommend doing the provided exercises as actual practice is far more beneficial than simply reading through and remembering things, but that's entirely up to you and you can always come back to them later if you get stuck and feel you need to revisit your basics.

What do you feel you should do next, and how confident are you in your programming? What's your eventual goal?

At this stage you can either continue working in the console to strengthen your knowledge of the language and perhaps pick up additional skills (a read through Thinking In C++ would never go astray!) or you could try moving into some basic graphical programs with an API such as SDL.

Essentially you need to decide what it is that you want to do at this stage and set about doing so. If you feel you still need more practice at your basics you should search out additional sources of information and work at that. If you feel you're ready to move on you should pick something to work on; if it's something you think you can already do then great, get to work, otherwise figure out what you still need to learn in order to reach your goal and set about learning it - we can help you out by recommending resources if you let us know what it is you want to focus on.

Hope that helps. [smile]

Thank you so much! This was a very helpful post, and I appreciate it.

I am pretty sure I can move up to SDL, but if I don't get it, I could just reread that book again, and pick up another and pick up additional skills. But, thanks! I'll try on SDL! :)

Ok, do ask if you need any help setting up and getting started with it. You can find some documentation on the website to get you started, along with Lazy Foo's SDL/Game Tutorials which are fairly well thought of; there are plenty of other tutorials and resources available on the topic if you do a bit of searching too.

Good luck with it! [smile]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!