DirectSound in Vista?

Started by
6 comments, last by Rattrap 16 years, 8 months ago
Hi I heard that DirectSound is no longer supported under Windows Vista. What are MS plans for game developers to get accelerated 3D? Thanks.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by zigzag32
Hi

I heard that DirectSound is no longer supported under Windows Vista. What are MS plans for game developers to get accelerated 3D?

Thanks.
Where did you hear DirectSound wasn't supported? I've got a bunch of apps that use DirectSound and they all work fine. And I assume you mean accelerated 3D audio [smile]
Exactly, that's what I meant. Accel. 3D (DirectSound3D)
My game CellZenith runs DirectSound fine in Vista. Of course, there was initially a bug, but it was fixed. If you ever get a bug in DirectSound+Vista with sounds looping inappropriately, just PM me.
Greg Philbrick, Game Developercoming soon . . . Overhauled CellZenith
and is this: http://www.openal.org/openal_vista.html a lie?
Quote:Original post by zigzag32
and is this: http://www.openal.org/openal_vista.html a lie?

It is:

A) Outdated:
Quote:
With the launch of Windows Vista just around the corner,

B) About OpenAL
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
The audio stack was completely (?or mostly?) rewritten for Windows Vista - everything was moved to a full FP32 software stack. To my knowledge there is no hardware acceleration anymore.

Myself and a couple of other MVP's raised this when we were out in Redmond earlier this year; performance being a primary concern. However it seems that evidence in favour of hardware acceleration is minimal - a lot of the time its just not used. Testing on things like XAudio apparently reveals a negligeable penalty for software mixing such that you're not going to see it as a bottleneck in your application.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Creative Labs has been working in OpenAL to try and restore some of the hardware acceleration into Vista. Mostly this is renabling stuff like EAX (which is exclusive to their cards). They have released a product called ALchemy which basicly attemptst to restore EAX and other hardware accelerated DirectSound calls to programs running in Vista. For the X-fi products, this is a free download. For Audigy, they are charging $10 for it (and causing a big uproar for charging to restore capability).

I've been running Vista for a few months now, I haven't noticed a big performance while playing games. I've got an Audigy ZS Platinum Pro. When I found out about ALchemy, I did pay the 10 dollars and downloaded it. There is a noticable difference in the sound quality when you get in the games. Most of this, I would say, it attributed to EAX being renabled.

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement