C++ game engine. Want to add script system

Started by
1 comment, last by jonnymind 16 years, 9 months ago
Hi Gamedev coders Im sure this is asked many time, so for give my newness: Im currently running a c++ game engine. It previously had .c# scripting but used .net This slowed it down quite considerably. Since then we have removed .net completely and get almost x10 the FPS. now we need to reintegrate a script system (as compiling after every code tweak is getting rather tiresome) Im thinking either LUA or C# (without .net) LUA Im familiar with from using it with Farcry. C# is also good and the bonus we have the old scripts already written. In some ways i think I want to go with LUA and just rewrite the scripts I need again. What I want to know is ....where can I find information of implementing the script interpreter (for either language) into my core c++ code. Are there any good examples of how this would be done? I'm not sure if I have enough code knowledge to do this myself successfully...but will give it a go. :- -LW
-------------------LordsWarrior-------------------
Advertisement
I don't think you can use C# without a .NET runtime or equivalent. It might be possible in theory but I don't think it is in practice.

Lua is a good choice, but there are many alternatives in the Forum FAQ. Each has its own pros and cons.

There's no universally correct way to integrate a scripting language, since every application will have different scripting needs. There are some automatic binding tools that help expose your game objects to a scripting language but you need to decide which objects to use them on, etc. This also has the problem that low-level details in your existing interface (often caused by the language) tend to get reflected in your script interface, making it less useful than if you wrapped functions by hand. So choices have to be made.
Hello,

I have just released version 0.8 of the Falcon Programming Language at http://www.falconpl.org

Although the community is small and the project is new, it's quite promising and it is used in a production environment for very heavy duty tasks. It's grammar remembers Python and Ruby so, although there are many new constructs, it shouldn't be totally alien to script writers. As a plus, it produces pre-built binary modules from the scripts that you may ship without their sources, if your application is closed source. It is also comparatively efficient in many aspects.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement