VC++ Express (some questions)

Started by
8 comments, last by 3Dgonewild 16 years, 9 months ago
I need to create a small editor in opengl , but i don't want to waste time on writing a (bug-y) gui. So , my questions are: 1) Is it possible to add forms/menus/vcl objects in VC++?(like vc# for example) 2) How can i create an opengl window on the form? Also i want to add menus / buttons / status bars etc...is it possible? Thats all i need to know , thanks for your time. edited: Something that i forgot.. Can i write pure c++ code? or they did modifications??(like vc# for example)
Advertisement
Re question 1, it is not possible to visually drag forms together like C# with unmanaged C++. I believe you can use Windows Forms stuff with managed C++ but I don't know what the implications for interfacing with OpenGL would be.

If you are looking to create the GUI elements with code, Express does not ship with MFC, but there are other cross-platform wrappers available that may help, such as wxWidgets.

I suspect that there is a C# solution in here somewhere as I'm sure you must be able to interface C# and OpenGL by now, but I'm sure someone else can advise better on this.

[EDIT] It would appear that there is some kind of C# OpenGL library.

For something like an editor that is GUI heavy, I'd really think this was worth investigating. I've only heard bad things about managed C++.

[Edited by - EasilyConfused on July 24, 2007 3:10:20 AM]
Hey,

1) Yes. It has a windows form designer exactly like vc#.

2) I use directx, but i imagine the init procedure is kinda similar. You just need to make a window using the form designer, then get the handle of that window and pass it to Directx/opengl as the window to render in.

I've had no trouble creating a 'gui' using windows form components, and having that co-exist with directx on the same form. The buttons are painted on top of the rendering scene, so it works fine (so far).

As for the pure c++, yes you can. VC++ also gives you the (preferred) option of C++/CLI, which is essentially managed C++, complete with afew new pieces of syntax to learn.

You can have managed and unmanaged (native) classes co-exist in the same project without troubles, which is great because you can take advantage of .nets features and wrappers using the managed CLI stuff, and still write some code in good ol C++ if you want more control. Mixing the two directly, like having unmanaged variables/pointers in a managed class, can sometimes be abit quirky, but i've had no major problems yet.

More info on C++/CLI here.

Hope this helps.

[Edit] EasilyConfused pointed out some things i was not clear on. If you choose to use the windows form designer, you are forced to use C++/CLI, as it generates all managed code. If you want to use purely c++, then you cannot use the form designer like you do in c#, and have to make your own gui from scratch, without the help of MFC as EasilyC said.
Quote:Original post by 3Dgonewild
Can i write pure c++ code? or they did modifications??
There are compiler-specific extensions to the language and the standards compliance still isn't perfect, but it is very good and you shouldn't run into any issues writing standards-compliant C++.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
2) I use directx, but i imagine the init procedure is kinda similar. You just need to make a window using the form designer, then get the handle of that window and pass it to Directx/opengl as the window to render in.

I just finished with the installation(VC++/SDK ..etc), and i really like the ide.
Its just like vc# , but you're actually coding in c++..

Well , can you please post a small example showing how you get the handle name?????

@ EasilyConfused :

Thanks , but i wanna give a chance to vc++ express.
If i cant do it there , i will go back to dev C++..(i dont wanna use c#)

Quote:
There are compiler-specific extensions to the language and the standards compliance still isn't perfect, but it is very good and you shouldn't run into any issues writing standards-compliant C++.

Thanks, i had no idea!
Quote:
Well , can you please post a small example showing how you get the handle name?????

Sure.

To get the handle of a managed form, i do this.
HWND handle;handle = (HWND)YourForm->Handle.ToPointer();

Handles aren't the same in managed C++ as in native C++, which is why the typecasting to HWND is necessary. This gives you a native handle you can pass into unmanaged code (i'm using unmanaged dx which is why this is necessary).

If your using all managed code i think you can just pass YourForm->Handle directly as a parameter.
Quote:Original post by Kazgoroth
Can i write pure c++ code? or they did modifications??

I was wondering about this the other day, do you know of anything that isnt fully standards compliant? I'd love to know what to avoid and why I'm avoiding it [wink]
Quote:Original post by supamike
Quote:

Sure.

To get the handle of a managed form, i do this.
HWND handle;handle = (HWND)YourForm->Handle.ToPointer();

Handles aren't the same in managed C++ as in native C++, which is why the typecasting to HWND is necessary. This gives you a native handle you can pass into unmanaged code (i'm using unmanaged dx which is why this is necessary).

If your using all managed code i think you can just pass YourForm->Handle directly as a parameter.

Hmm , thanks , i'll give it a try later.

Also , something that i have to ask (sry for being a pain in the @$$) ..
Now , all i have to do is to create the window on the form using the "handle" variable?
Im asking because in my old code there are dmSETTINGS configuration , and i think it will mess up everything...
I spend many hours on my editor , and FINALLY i did it!

Btw , how do you handle key presses ?!

Btw , how do you handle key presses ?!

Ok , because i see that no one cant help..
If i use getansikeystate() is it ok?
I mean , its working , but isnt it a lame solution ? (for an editor only--the game "engine" uses sdl).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement