Anyone got anything profound to say about love in games?

Started by
15 comments, last by swiftcoder 16 years, 8 months ago
I think I love Laura Croft. And the girls from DOA Beach Volleyball. And that chick from that game with the dragons.
Advertisement
I'd like to say that I think love in games would be a lot more successful if the pressure wasn't put on the player to role play love for another character, instead why not concentrate on love between other characters.
The reason why there isn't such a problem getting you to feel emotional about love between characters in films is that you are asked to empathise with a character, not role play.
Separately, if you really want the player to feel strongly romatically about another character on behalf of the player character, you need to create a love interest and a situation that naturally promotes that, the necessary detail, sheer quantity of time spent with the character and the right kind of romance for the cirmcumstances.
<spoiler - for those fortunate enough still yet to play two of the best games ever>
Its for these reasons that MGS and FFVII succeeded in getting me to care about the love interests of the characters I played. Not love obviously :) but enough care to be pretty shocked when they were killed.
</spoiler>
Quote:Original post by hvbeta
I think I love Laura Croft. And the girls from DOA Beach Volleyball. And that chick from that game with the dragons.

The best quote ever .
---------------------------------------- There's a steering wheel in my pants and it's drivin me nuts
Laura Croft? hahaha

Well, "love" uhmm I actually cried when I finished FFX which is a "love" story, because... uhmm I don't know perhaps I do have mental problems, perhaps I fell in love with Yuna or maybe is that love is all around and ... well you know.
Quote:Original post by thelovegoose
Along the lines of whether there is any place in games for love? could we ever expect a player to love a computer character? What is there to gain from including love in games?

I think you mean romance more than love. I think it's perfectly possible, in fact it almost happens in many 1st person games in which one interacts with female NPCs. I think that having a good story and ambience would do the trick, you won't even need good graphics.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
I think any game that goes from design to playable has some love in it. Some developers are just better lovers than others.

-----------------"Building a game is the fine art of crafting an elegant, sophisticated machine and then carefully calculating exactly how to throw explosive, tar-covered wrenches into the machine to botch-up the works."http://www.ishpeck.net/

I think perhaps that romance in games is not as well done as in other media, but at any rate, I have rarely (if ever) felt as strong an emotional bond to a character in a game as I have to characters in films or books. I find myself quite deeply affected (but that may be growing up without mass media) by films that centre around a love story only to end in tragedy and loneliness (Cinema Paradiso is a good example). When I see this in a game, though, it usually comes across as hackneyed/senseless rather than evoking that sense of loss.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement