• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ankhd

What was the reason to remove DirectPlay. What Should I use Now

This topic is 4163 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

this API DPlay8 looks ok to me seams to do all you need and Dplay4 worked good for many game's. so now what do I do. Should I keep using it or should I use what???????. [Edited by - ankhd on July 26, 2007 10:17:41 PM]

Advertisement
Your post doesn't make much sense.

I'm more than happy to allow a thread debating the merits of having versus removing DPlay, but this gets closed the second it turns into some childish "M$ suxorz" rant.

That said... DPlay didn't really work all that well - in principle it was all nice and fluffy and Just Worked™ but in my experience there were plenty of hardware/ISP configurations that confused it.

My understanding of the motivation behind removing it was security and the fact that DPlay, well, sucked on this front. It's not the only time (hint: D3DX) that they've changed DirectX to adhere to the strict security requirements Microsoft now has in place.

hth
Jack

No I like MS and DirectX just wondering why they need to be worried about security hackers will get around any thing they do any way the anti hack,then the anit anti hack.?????

Having used DirectPlay (through MDX) myself, I agree to Jack's comments. "it Worked" well, sometimes. Connection management and host migration were nice features, but they lose a lot of their appeal when you can't rely on them. I'm not a network programmer nor anywhere near a DirectPlay expert, so your millage may vary, but I found System.Net to be much more straightforward and reliable to use for coding networking. You might miss out on the the lobbying and voice facilities of DirectPlay, but afaik these were sparsely used anyway and I've heard very few nice comments about their quality.

Now that pretty much the entire world runs on IP, there's also less need for a package like DirectPlay that tries to abstract away the networking layer, which might be another reason MS chose to discontinue the API. If you're still using C# (I seem to recall you were), you might be pleased to hear that they announced a new networking library for XNA2.0 however, which will probably offer similar facilities to safely expose networking on the 360.

Hope this addresses your concerns :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!