• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
tori

Font to texture library

This topic is 3985 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, it's me again. This time I'm looking for an open-source cross-platform library which would take a TrueType Font and a bunch of parameters (like size, spacing, ...) and return a bitmap (for use as a texture later). Python bindings would be ideal, but I can wrap it myself if need be. So a C/C++ API would be good too.

Advertisement
Sorry to sound mean but uh:
1) This is a message board, you don't have to write your post like it's a letter, although it is good that you did get straight to the point.
2) Google is an awesome tool. Showing us that you have tried it first is a sign of respect.

Anyway, Freetype 2 is the best way to render free type fonts (even Linux uses it to render fonts) and you can easily copy the font glyphs to a texture or bitmap (given that you understand what a bitmap is). You will have to do the work yourself, but it does have good documentation and a tutorial.

1) I know, it's just more fun that way.
2) I used to work for google so yes, I've searched. Came up empty handed, probably because I was too specific (googled for font to texture thing)

So... it's freetype, eh ? I absolutely forgot that one... even despite a week of intensive hacking of it's kerning system... thank you a lot :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!