• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
laeuchli

Any astrophysicists or astronomers in the forum?

This topic is 4072 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Dear All, I'm trying to render an accurate starscape. I've found the page (http://archive.eso.org/gsc/gsc) which is an online database of stars, listing thier right ascensions and declenations. I'd like to have around 4000-5000 star in my scene, but the website is loath to return more then 1000 at a time. If I set the starting r.a and dec to zero, search for 1/4 of 21600(the total number of arcmin in a circle), and then set my next RA to to 1/4 of 21600 etc, and keep going will I get what I think I'm getting(i.e is that a list of 4000 stars distributed more or less around a sphere?). My second question, is I understand that right ascension is measured from the vernal equinox , which is a point along the equator, which used to point at the constellation Aries. How can I setup my vernal equinox so that its in the right place relative to earth in my program? Regards, Jesse

Advertisement
Astrophysicist in da house!

Answer 1: Most of your stars are going to be around 6h, where the Milky Way is most prominent. From our perspective, it's fairly vertical.

Answer 2: Forget the constellation Aries. Right ascension is taken from the intersection of the elliptic and the celestial equator at the vernal equinox. Just use that moment and location as zero for your calculations, and Bob's your uncle.

Quote:
Original post by laeuchli
Hm do you know why I cant seem to get that site to give me any stars with declinsions other then -88?

No idea. What exactly are your inputs?

I set RA to 00 00 00, Dec to a bunch of different inputs to try and get it to give me something other then -88 XX XX stars, but the search radius to 21600, left the object name blank, left the magnitude limits at default and left the number of output stars at 100.

Any astronomer that refuse to use a barycentric rectangular coordinate system based on three perpendicular axises that are parallel to axises of galactic coordinates, should be severally tortured.

Look at Chandra, or google for Hipparcos catalogue.

Quote:
Original post by Raghar
Any astronomer that refuse to use a barycentric rectangular coordinate system based on three perpendicular axises that are parallel to axises of galactic coordinates, should be severally tortured.

Look at Chandra, or google for Hipparcos catalogue.

While it's a lovely thought, most professions tend to use units which are useful to them. Barycentric rectangular coordinates aren't nearly as convenient for answering questions such as "Where will this star be at 5:23 PM tonight?"

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!