• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Seizure

Milestones

This topic is 4164 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was hoping someone could point me towards some detailed information on how to set up milestones and methods of determining what should go in those milestones. i've had a bit of a look across the site but havent found too much so far - i'm gonna keep looking but if anyone has any resources they could point me towards that'd be great

Advertisement
This is a very context-sensitive subject; with the little information you've provided, I can give you the following advice:
a) You need to know yourself and your abilities well in order to understand how much time it will take you to do things. Initially, double or triple your estimates until you get a feel for where you really are.
b) Envision what you want to accomplish. Figure out what needs to be done to get there. Arrange them in some kind of rough "this before that" order. Supply time estimates.
c) Group everything into a number of buckets (you pick how many). Each bucket consists of all the tasks required for that milestone.
d) Profit.

ahh you just reminded me of some project managment techniques i learnt a while back by which you can create deadlines for stuff by using this equation based upon different variables. i'm gonna have to fish out my proj. management books

What jpetrie says make sense. Here are some extra points:
a) if this is a professional project (e.g with an actual important deadline and a budget) arrange it so that the most important features go in the first milestones, with less important ones towards the end, so when you run out of time, or something unexpected happens you can cut the unimportant stuff.
b) spread out "visible" features, that way people (publisher?) won't go "what did you guys do the last couple of months? It looked the same last time we saw the demo".
c) spread out fun stuff. these are often the same stuff as in (b). Visible progress I can show to people, makes me happier anyway, and morale is important.

You might want to ask this in the "Business of Game Development" section, those guys probably have good answers to this stuff.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!