• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
osmanb

Good mobile devices?

This topic is 4144 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, First: I'm sorry for posting this sort of question, but I'm really not sure where else to put this. I'm interested in doing some development on a PocketPC/PDA type of device. Sadly, I can't even begin to decipher what devices I should be looking at. Intended usage (in priority order): - Non-game hobbyist development. I already have several .NET (desktop) apps that I've created for various purposes. I'd love to have miniature versions of these things available on a mobile device. - Some game development. This isn't really my primary goal, but I'm likely to do some small game stuff at some point. - Typical mobile device stuff (e-mail, notes, whatever...) I already have a cellphone, and have no interest in getting a more expensive (elaborate) phone device. It seems like the primary options are a Windows Mobile device, or a Palm device. The Palm SDK appears to be free. The WindowsMobile SDK isn't really free anymore, as it now requires a (non-express) copy of Visual Studio. This isn't a barrier, though - I already have access to a legal copy of VS2005. This would also let me re-use some of the code I've already written that I plan to port. Finally, I don't want to spend a fortune on this thing. The forum FAQ here covers lots of console and phone resources, but has nothing about mobile devices. So I'd just like to know what people use (if anything), and what's the development experience like once you have one? [Edited by - osmanb on July 24, 2007 8:07:23 PM]

Advertisement
As far as Windows Mobile SDK goes, it is still free. The Express Editions don't include it, but they don't include a lot of things. There's nothing wrong with command line tools unless you are overly dependent on point-and-grunt interfaces.

As far as mobile devices go, use whatever you have. Although there is variance between different devices, it is not as bad as j2me cell phones. Your first task will be to get your application working on the emulator and on whatever physical device you have available. I've seen people work from just the emulator and only spot-check on the physical device, although I wouldn't recommend it. That's generally enough to get going with.

Once you have it running reasonably well on your device and/or emulator, post it online and have other people demo the stuff. They will uncover a host of programming bugs that will keep you busy, and probably expose some device specific issues. I've found on WinCE and WM5 that what is usually called a 'device specific bug' is almost always a programming error that is only visible on those devices.

Might mean something, PDAMill has discontinued its Palm OS products.

Go for VS2005 and WM devices. As said before, the emulators are very good. You can test a lot with them without an actual device.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!