im a nub so... but how do i get started?

Started by
13 comments, last by Daaark 16 years, 9 months ago
k... I'm a complete nub to all of this... sorry... but i really want to get started in game development... but I'm not sure how... but what should i know to get started with it? like i want to get in online game development... how do i get started?
Advertisement
What position(s) do you want to do primarily (engine programmer, game scripter, world designer, artist, etc)?
from what little i know id say engine programmer (if that means that you program it to make games/ programs ECT...)(world designer? sounds cool? what is it? lol)

I'm sorry but i don't hardly know anything about this... :[
Quote:Original post by spyro
from what little i know id say engine programmer (if that means that you program it to make games/ programs ECT...)

It means you would make a tool (specifically, a game engine) for you and/or other programmers to make game(s) with. You wouldn't necessarily make games, directly.
Do you have any programming experience?
yes i do actually... well coding experience with Java.
yes i do actually... well coding experience with Java.

That's good; are you old/skilled enough to get in the industry?
yes i so pose so, i intend to catch on stuff kinda quick, depends though.
k... I'm a complete nub to all of this... sorry... but i really want to get started in game development... but I'm not sure how... but what should i know to get started with it? like i want to get in online game development... how do i get started?

1. Learn C#, or C++. That means lots of reading. There is a C# workshop going on here right now, maybe you can jump into that. There are other things like Python too.

2. Once you can program period, you can get into XNA or something similar and start writing game code.

Game development sits on top of programming. You have to know how to program before you can start game programming.

If I were starting from scratch today, I'd jump on the C#/XNA bandwagon. Whatever you do, read as much as you can to start off in whatever language you choose, and read more than one source. Look in the book section here, or go to your library and just picking stuff up off the shelf.

My library has this book, and I really like it, even though I knew everything in it long before I read it. It had a real casual feel, and by the time you are done, you have a good understanding of the basics.

http://www.johnsmiley.com/mybooks/LULU/LTPC++/LULU686534.htm
http://www.johnsmiley.com/mybooks/LULU/LTPCSHARP/LULU572336.htm (C# version)
Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark
1. Learn C#, or C++. That means lots of reading. There is a C# workshop going on here right now, maybe you can jump into that. There are other things like Python too.

As he allready knows Java fairly well i would suggest that he sticks to it (Its a perfectly fine language for virtually anything)

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement