3ds max to opengl

Started by
6 comments, last by Treesong 16 years, 8 months ago
How I can import my 3d object from 3ds max openlGL .And would it possible to import everything like light postion and camera postion set in 3ds max, to opengl.
Advertisement
There are more than one options: one is to write an importer for the .3ds file format. If you choose this way there are many reference files over the net describing the file format. I could also give you my importer (only geometry and surface property, and a couple of functions for normals and tangents generations useful for normal mapping). Note that 3ds is quite limited: for example only one uv coordinates set is allowed per surface, IIRC.
Another option is to write a script to directly export data from 3d studio max in your custom forma (a simple text file, for example). This is quite easy and you decide exactly which data you need.
Another possibility is to use COLLADA: you may be able to find plugins for exporting into this format (if not already supported).

Lights and camera settings are avilable in all those options (At least the first two, while I think that collada supports them as well).
You could also use lib3ds as a helper library to load 3ds files.
http://lib3ds.sourceforge.net/
Might save you some work on writing your own importer.

Good luck.
Look at all the pretty colours!
hey

I'm not sure what relation the *.3ds format did have, or currently has with 3D Studio Max, but the native format for 3D Studio Max since I've known it (since version 3.0) has been the *.max format.

Hmm, I don't know of any docs/specs for the *.max format myself, so I think your best bet would to be write an exporter.

Personally, now days I prefer Blender, and if you are interested I can probably point you towards some places as to learn to write scripts for it.

Anyhows maybe that *.3ds format will be okay for you, as I think it might support data of various other objects, such as lights, cameras and such (assuming the 3dsmax exporter makes use of this). Although I don't think it properly supports skeletal animation, but only some form of object level animation. Another thing is the normals are per face, in which the direction is defined by the order the vertices of a face are stored. Hmm, I hope that made some sense.

If you want to learn about the Autodesk *.3ds format then checkout 3ds-0.93 Specifications, or spacesimulator.net - TUTORIAL 4: 3DS LOADER.

Anyhows that will do for now, hehe.

cyas
Quote:Original post by yosh64
hey

I'm not sure what relation the *.3ds format did have, or currently has with 3D Studio Max, but the native format for 3D Studio Max since I've known it (since version 3.0) has been the *.max format.

Hmm, I don't know of any docs/specs for the *.max format myself, so I think your best bet would to be write an exporter.

Personally, now days I prefer Blender, and if you are interested I can probably point you towards some places as to learn to write scripts for it.

Anyhows maybe that *.3ds format will be okay for you, as I think it might support data of various other objects, such as lights, cameras and such (assuming the 3dsmax exporter makes use of this). Although I don't think it properly supports skeletal animation, but only some form of object level animation. Another thing is the normals are per face, in which the direction is defined by the order the vertices of a face are stored. Hmm, I hope that made some sense.

If you want to learn about the Autodesk *.3ds format then checkout 3ds-0.93 Specifications, or spacesimulator.net - TUTORIAL 4: 3DS LOADER.

Anyhows that will do for now, hehe.

cyas

*.3ds was the format of 3dstudio until the Max line came out. AFAIK the *.max format, unlike *.3ds, is a closed format. Perhaps even 3ds was closed, I don't know, but there is a lot of (un)official documentation about it. I don't belive that there is a freely available document about max format...
thanx yosh,I think I will go for blender as its free ,it would be nice if u tell me d sources to learn scriptin for that after modellin
hey

First I advise you to checkout, and run through the Blender 3D: Noob to Pro - Python Scripting tutorials.

Yep, the Interactive Console script is just great, I found it nice for learning my way around data structures and such.

Also, be careful about what API reference you use, as I found some to be outdated, but I think THIS ONE might be okay :).

BTW, you can find more tutorials at wiki.blender.org - BSoD/Introduction to Python Scripting.

I also found checking out existing scripts helpful too, and as such here is my export script. It's not quite complete and I will update it soon, but it's for exporting models/skeletons/animations. Ohh, and maybe you will find my notes of data structures and such handy.

Finally, if you run into problems or anything, then maybe drop into #blendercoders (irc.freenode.net), and hopefully they can help ya out.

cyas

For reading, writing and creating .3ds files an official toolkit is available here.
It may not be the most user friendly library, but it is the most complete 3ds library as far as I know.

Serge van Keulen

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement