• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
OneEyed

Using Pure Quaternion for model/camera

This topic is 3987 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, I've fallen in love with the quaternion world, however, I've been having problems using them in certain aspects. I'm building a Half-Life 2 mod, and in this mod I'm trying to use quaternions to rotate my model, and my camera angles. Rotating a vector is pretty simple. However rotating a model to match the correct orientation of this vector to the ground normal is yielding me unwanted results. It's mostly with the rolling of the model. I have 3 unit vectors representing the Forward, Right, and UP vectors. My forward vector is the direction my object moves, which I'm constantly clipping to match perpendicular to the ground (UP) vector. EDIT: ---------------------------- I'm building a racing mod, and I'd like for karts to be able to drive over all surfaces as long as each surface is at a reasonable incline to the next. When I said I'm having trouble doing the orientation with quats it's mostly because I'm doing the math wrong. For matrixes, I use something like this and it gives me perfect orientation. VMatrix axis; axis.SetBasisVectors(pPlayer->m_vecForwardDir, pPlayer->m_vecRightDir, pPlayer->m_vecGroundNormal); MatrixToAngles( axis, angFinal ); angFinal is return as Euler angles. When I tried using quaternions, I believe my math went wrong in concating the quats. I did something like this for my camera orientation. float yawAng = pPlayer->m_flYawDirection; Quaternion qYaw, qPitch, qResult; AxisAngleQuaternion( pPlayer->m_vecGroundNormal, yawAng, qYaw ); AxisAngleQuaternion( pPlayer->m_vecRightDir, 30, qPitch ); QuaternionMult(qPitch, qYaw, qResult ); QuaternionAngles( qResult, angleDirection ); This effectly rotates my yaw to the direction i'm facing, and the pitch upwards 30 degrees. But when I go on ramps my roll begins tilting. I then began experimenting trying to rotate around the forward direction and setting it to a constant value, but I failed at concating the transforms, which would pretty much rotate my view around kinda like a sine wave depending on the direction I was facing. The reason I wanted to use quaternions is for the SLERP function quats have, I wasn't to sure how to slerp a matrix. [Edited by - OneEyed on July 25, 2007 1:13:59 PM]

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by OneEyed
My question is how can I use quaternions to rotate my models Euler angles to match the orientation of these 3 vectors?

I have pre-made quaternion functions for everything a quaternion can do. My goal here is to do my model rotation without the use of matrices as it currently seems, only matrices can fix my roll problem.
I've got to run at the moment so I can't go into as much detail as I'd like, but it seems you may have some misconceptions about the various rotation representations and their behavioral characteristics.

In particular, I'm a little confused by this sentence:
Quote:
My goal here is to do my model rotation without the use of matrices as it currently seems, only matrices can fix my roll problem.
Can you perhaps restate this? Is it possible you wrote 'matrices' where you meant 'quaternions', or vice versa? As it is, I can't make much sense of it.

It might also be a good idea to provide a more detailed description of what sort of behavior you're after. 'HL2 mod' suggests standard FPS-style motion, but you also mention aligning the model with a surface normal, which isn't typical for FPSs. Anyway, a little clarification might be in order.

Sorry about the misunderstanding there.

Edited first post.

[Edited by - OneEyed on July 25, 2007 1:15:16 PM]

The problem is that the player's basis vectors are not the vectors you want to rotate around. When you perform one of the axis rotations it changes the other axes. Those axes must then be rotated to account for the change in coordinate system.

Or look here for a page about converting rotation matrices to quaternions.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!