• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ckcornflake

Need book advice

This topic is 4164 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm planning on re-doing a game that I did for a college class a few years ago. It was a 2d top-down scrolling space shooter (using 3d models) that was written in C++ and OpenGL. I plan to redo the game using DirectX in C#. I would say that my programming skills is somewhere between beginner and intermediate. I have a bachelors in CS and I've been working in the defense industry for a few years. I want to create an API for this game that will allow me to easily create unique enemies and levels. Given this information, what books do you guys recommend I should get. I regrettably sold back my college math books. So I also need advice for a good linear algebra and calculus book as well.

Advertisement
Not c# but "Introduction to 3d game programming with directx 9.0c: a shader approach" helped me a lot with learning directx, though it isn't specifically about making games. Although it is beginner level, it's not assuming you are an idiot unlike most other books :)

About the maths part, "Game Physics" has a nice appendix for linear algebra. Appearantly it is a physics book (pretty advanced one) but you might need it anyway.

Apart from that if you want to create your own game engine from scratch, you can try "3d game engine architecture : engineering real time applications with wild magic" ( this one is advanced as well). It explains the parts of a game engine in detail.

Lastly if you want to use a game-engine instead of dealing with low lvl directx stuff, you might google OGRE(graphics engine) and ODE(physics engine).

For a college calculus text, Thomas' Calculus is probably a good bet. It's here on Amazon.

For a Linear algebra text, we used Linear Algebra with Applications, and I thought it was a rather good book. It's here on Amazon.

I've also heard good things about Essential Mathematics for Games and Interactive Applications: A Programmer's Guide. It's here on Amazon.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!