New where should i start

Started by
1 comment, last by CD82 16 years, 8 months ago
Hello all ive been giving alot of thought to start game programing. I noticed on the microsoft website that they have the XNA Framework out. So ive downloaded it an looked though some of there video tuts an whatnot. And think i may very well take a likeing to this. So here i am ive seen alot of stuff on C++ and C# game programming. Opengl and Directx game programming as well books in stores an whatnot. And i never really got the idea of creating my own game. Untill i played an original xbox game and got some ideas. the game was Forza Motorsport its a racing sim. Well thats my idea is a racing sim for the computer like that but better. well i hope so atlease one of thease days hehe. i know i cant just open up XNA an create the game infact. ill probily need some other people on the bandwagon but ive got some good ideas for the game when the time comes. Now im wondering if this XNA is worth it is it ok whats some details about it. is it ok to start out on as a beginner to the game coding workd? another ? on my mind is should i scrap the XNA idea all together. because i have a bit more know how in VB6 ive created few small things. an create a game in vb6 ive seen some books on that also. or should i learn some C# now ive did couple of the msdn. tutorials on like the hello world program and it seemd. like it might be a nice language to know. whould whould be a good starters book to buy on the C# language. well any and all help will be grateful i hope ive not confused anyone. let me know thanks!
Advertisement
Quote:Now im wondering if this XNA is worth it is it ok whats some details about it. is it ok to start out on as a beginner to the game coding workd?
It's a simple framework that helps reduce some of the tedious tasks of game development (loading content such as models and textures, for example). It is a managed framework (which makes life easier in a number of ways, including easier memory management) and can currently be used to develop Windows or (to some extent) Xbox 360 games. Typically you'd use C# with it, but you can use any ".NET" language (VB, C++/CLI and so on) with it at the expense of losing some of the tools. It's worth it.

Quote:another ? on my mind is should i scrap the XNA idea all together.
because i have a bit more know how in VB6 ive created few small things.
an create a game in vb6 ive seen some books on that also.
You can use XNA with VB.NET (it's slightly harder than with C#). I'd recommend C#; VB6 has a lot of "bad habits" which you'd have to drop to be a good VB.NET developer. C# would force you to drop them by being a completely new language. [smile]

Quote:or should i learn some C# now ive did couple of the msdn. tutorials on like the hello world program and it seemd. like it might be a nice language to know.
It is nice - fast to develop in, powerful, performant and cross-platform.

Quote:whould whould be a good starters book to buy on the C# language.
Take a look at the C# workshop on this site!

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Also another ? thats really been on my mind.

when i go to create the game i want to create the cars
like GM and Ford.

im guessing it whould take a load of money to get the rights to add thease to my game when the time came or what

for the creating this game when im ready whould whould be the issue get to be apart of a team or what?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement