Getting into Game Programming

Started by
3 comments, last by blakedev 16 years, 8 months ago
Hi I am 24 years old and graduated with a computer science degree about 2 years ago. I havent been working in that field since then because I was involved in another career. I am very interested into getting back into programming and have been thinking about game programming. I have been creating my own small C++ apps for my own personal use but havent got into game programming. Do you think there are jobs out there for someone with now game programming experience? I have that Game Programming all in One book, is that a good start?What other books or web pages should i use to start teaching myself? Thanks alot.
Advertisement
What version of Game Programming All in One do you have? I didn't think the first version was good. The reason i didnt like the first version is because using DirectX for 2D is not really worth it, use Allegro for 2D but for 3D i would use DirectX or OpenGL.
i have the second edition. I cant find the CD that came with it though. Anyone know where i can download it?
I dont think you can download it anywhere.
I'm not sure that there would be many to hire with no game programming experience. At the minimum you would need experience programming one or several of the various aspects, such as graphics, or audio, or networking, etc.

Best advice I can give is to keep learning, get experienced, and build a game programming portfolio, or whichever kind you stick with. Your degree in CS will most likely be required, and you're at a great start. Was your other career CS-related? If so, don't forget to mention that.

Good luck to ya sir.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement