Working with c# mmorpg

Started by
5 comments, last by JWalsh 16 years, 8 months ago
So far I've been designing my mmorpg for some time now what I've accomplished so far is Designed most of the world enviornment Areas,Dungeon,towns,ect . But don't know where to go from here with programing. What I want to do from this point is. - Get my character model in game able to move with w,s,a,d . - Movable camera in a full 3d view around my character. - Get my world enviornment ingame with a sky,fog ( how far you can see in the distance). - Able to create a character at a selection screen with fully customizable features. - Login / out with your character being saved to a profile without having to select a save option. Atm I'm working with C# for coding and using Microsoft XNA studio express. Btw this is a 3d mmorpg.
Advertisement
I haven't used XNA so far, so it might not be correct (though its correct for managed directx) & i consider myself a beginner as well but here's my ideas.

- Don't start making games with a MMO. Instead focus on something like single/2 player RPG (or sth like that :))
- If you are using an .x model, check directx sdk for skinned mesh example, else you'll need a custom exporter for your model format.
- for a modelview camera class, you can check DXUT, that comes with SDK.
- For character selection screen, you'll need a GUI. You can find a gui class in DXUT as well
- If you want to save your character to local computer, you can use XMLWriter class of .NET framework ( to save it as XML). Otherwise, you'll need to use a database (like Microsoft Sql Server Express, which is easy to use with .NET)
Are you coding everything from scratch?

I don't have any experience with C#, but I strongly suggest you reconsider making an MMO if you can't already code the things you have listed. Just a suggestion though. It's sort of difficult to say where you should go next. Do you have any code written at all yet?

"If I were a philosopher, I might argue that an array name's type is not equivalent to its equivalent. But I'm not a philosopher, so when I suggest something like that, I'm not a philosopher; I'm only being equivalent to a philosopher.""Saturn ascends, choose one or ten. hang on or be humbled again." - Tool
This is not a flame or anything, just made a bit of effort to write down what your plan entails.

I'm not going to try and convince you that making an MMORPG cannot be done. It can, but before you start wondering where you need to go next, it might be helpful to stop and think what you've already done and if you know what your design plans mean in terms of work that needs to be done. The list you provide is a nice (though probably a bit limited/too specific) feature list, but consider what this means:

Quote:- Get my character model in game able to move with w,s,a,d .

Have you already got your 3D character model and animation into the game yet? How will you 'move' your character around the world, i.e. how will your simulation/interaction work? 'Move' is a very ambiguous term here; what are the allowed 'moves'? What about combat, exploration, crafting?

And then we've not even touched on the actually handeling the input yet. How will you look around, need a mouse? Will there be customization of the input mappings? What about gamepads?

Quote:- Movable camera in a full 3d view around my character.

How will the camera work? 3rd person chase camera? What if the view from the camera to your character is obstructed by some scenery? What if the camera moves into a mountain the character backs into?

Quote:- Get my world enviornment ingame with a sky,fog ( how far you can see in the distance).

Aside from the obvious question on how to do your sky (that's a huge field in its own right with day/night cycles and weather) and fog, consider what your 'world environment' means. Are we talking about outdoor continuous terrains? Are you thinking of complex urban areas? How will you get your art to populate your world? How will you ensure propper performance rendering it all? How will you handle designing your world? Sky and fog would be the least important thing to stress here.

Quote:- Able to create a character at a selection screen rwith fully customizable features.

Assuming you fullfill the art requirements, have the GUI components needed for this selection screen and built all the customizable character features into your game, this might actually be the easiest part to start with [wink]

Quote:- Login / out with your character being saved to a profile without having to select a save option.

I assume you'll be saving the character on the server? How will you go about that? "Login / out" also is but a (miniscule) part of the entire networking code. What are your plans for that huge piece of the MMO puzzle? How are you going to handle profiles, ie. accounts?

Quote:Atm I'm working with C# for coding and using Microsoft XNA studio express.

Great, me too [smile]

Quote:Btw this is a 3d mmorpg.

They all are. Do you really want to make a huge time commitment (and maybe even invest money for art, music etc) in an overcrowded, perhaps even declining, market where multimillion titles like WoW reign supreme?
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
Thanks remigius. In the end I want it to be a mmorpg but at this point in time for testing purposes it will be an rpg. I've already been working on my GUI such as the main menu and character selection screen I'm just in the process of figuring out how to code it so I can add the 3d models for the customization part and some sprites for some background effects such as mist or fog.

Right now I'm basicly starting from complete scratch and only learning from other projects ppl have made for XNA to learn from aka replacing,models,textures,ect.

I know exactly how I want everything to look and work just don't have the coding knowledge yet to figure some of this stuff out.
Whenever you put MMO in the thread title and it is followed by a 'what should I do' styled question in the body you are always going to struggle to get useful replies. Luckily regimus made a very good post, so I will try to follow on with some constructive 'guidance'.
Firstly I should say I have no 3D experience what so ever, I do however have a good lot of experience at jumping into projects that are way over my head. From the sounds of things your 3D experience is very limited also,I'd say an MMO or even an RPG which is in two dimensions is a huge project (if you do it well) so maybe you should start smaller. Have you written any 2D games before? if not maybe you should get some experience there before jumping into a '3D world'. If you've got some 2D experience and are now looking to have a go at some 3D stuff again start out small, learn the foundations before jumping into a big project because you will soon realise that what you think you had all sorted out in your head(or even on paper) can be much more complex when coded (and ofcourse you always run into bugs).

So my advice is start slowly, see your ideas for the RPG/MMO game as the target, plan out all the things you will need to understand fully before you take on such a project and take small steps to acheiving these goals.

Hope that helps

Jon
Relixx,

Let me take a moment to offer a bit of alternate advice. You speak as though you've got a good amount of the design work completed for your game, though I can't know for sure of course from your short description.

It also sounds like you've either got artistic talent yourself, or have access to texture and model resources for your game. So perhaps all you're really missing is a team of programmers to help you with your RPG.

So, my advice would be, at this point, to abandon the notion of becoming a one-man game programming team. Accept that each of us have different skills. Some enjoy design, some are amazing artists, and yes some are capable of breathing life into a game through programming.

Next, I would write up a complete game development proposal as laid out in the "Help Wanted" section here on GDNet. Then, I would post your project to the Help Wanted section, and attempt to recruit some programmers looking for a team.

One thing I would NOT do is advertise it as an MMORPG. You see, the difference between an MMORPG and an RPG are small, but require an enormous amount of effort to make the transition. In reality, the differences lie mostly in an MMORPG just being a REALLY, REALLY, REALLY big Mutli-player RPG. (hence the 'massively').

So logically, it's impossible to create a MMORPG without first creating a Multiplayer RPG. As well, advertising it as a MMORPG suggests a lack of understanding about the sheer amount of work involved in such a venture, and few self-respecting programmers will blindly enter a project following a project lead who clearly doesn't understand the scope and magnitude of his endeavor.

Now, with all of that said, there are a number of successfully ran MMORPG's developed by indy development teams. Most of them began small, with a simple idea, and built upon it over time. I encourage you to do the same.

So Summary:
Step 1. Read This Thread to find the appropraite format for posting in Help Wanted
Step 2. Fill out that template and request help from the GDNet community by posting it Here
Step 3. Create a community website for your team and develop your small 3D Multiplayer RPG
Step 4. Scale the RPG up to be as large as your technology and resources allow

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement