MS VC++ 2005 Express - Bug (?)

Started by
8 comments, last by DirectXer 16 years, 8 months ago
Hi guys, first of all: I don't really know where to put this question, so i just chose General Programming; sry if it was the wrong subforum OK, my problem is eventually very simple: My Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 2005 Express always rebuilds the whole project, even if i leave all files unchanged. I installed it approximately 2 years ago and this problem occurred today the first time (when i had 2 solutions being compiled at the same time, if that matters). I recognized it as the compiler started to rebuild a source file although i hadn't changed it. And from then on the compiler has rebuilded any file in any solution so i now everytime get an entire rebuild in my solutions... I think there may be something wrong with the Minimal Rebuild Property, but I don't have a clue how to fix this... Is this a known bug of the express edition? (I didn't find anything with Google) Or d'ya think a reinstall is the only solution? Pls help me with this, for i can't really work if every build costs me an hour waiting... Thx in advance
Advertisement
Go through every project in your solution...

Check "properties"...

Look at all the fields that reference a file.

Make sure there are no forward slashes "/" in any of the filepaths (change them all to backslashes)
my_life:          nop          jmp my_life
[ Keep track of your TDD cycle using "The Death Star" ] [ Verge Video Editor Support Forums ] [ Principles of Verg-o-nomics ] [ "t00t-orials" ]
hmm yes you were right, there was a forward slash in an output file: $(OutDir)/$(ProjectName).bsc, browse information; but changing it didn't solve the problem. I checked the properties and especially the paths several times and compared them to the default settings, but they're all the same...
hmm i think reinstall is the only way to make it work again? emm well k, thx for tryin

Greets DXer
Ok,

i did the VC++ repair/reinstall with the install CD, updated the VS service pack 1 and finally tried to recompile my solutions, but it still doesn't work... I really don't have any clue what to do...

Has _anyone_ of you any idea? No matter what.. Please help...
Make sure that none of your files (including headers) have edit times in the future. And I'm assuming you've done a Clean already?
yes i have, and the paths are also correct as when i have the compiler build my solution, the executable(s) and object files are updated. I just wonder if there is an option turned off that makes the compiler rebuild everything without checking the files for changes (and a reinstall does not change the properties)... I've found the MinimalRebuild Option in the .vcproj, but it is set to true.
oh my god, i got it... it happens quite often that you get the solution if you do something so weird you would never think of to change something, and then it just makes everythin work again. I did as you said and checked the files for future times, but it was just the other way around: my system clock was one week in the past (no idea what caused this). I was just testing my app in displaying the current time and date in a 3d-font, when I noticed the date was wrong; so I changed it (not expecting to have done something important) and -click- it worked. Ok, next time I gonna blame the clock first before asking you for help ;)

Greets DXer
I think Visual C++ 2005's depencency checking is a little buggy (and what the heck have forward or backward slashes got to do with anything anyway?). Many times Visual C++ will arbitrarily rebuild certain project components that didn't need rebuilding at all. Sometimes I'll complete a build and then start the app in the debugger only to have Visual C++ complain that the project is out of date and needs to be rebuilt. Erm okay, whatever ...
Quote:Original post by Red Ant
(and what the heck have forward or backward slashes got to do with anything anyway?)
i think they can influence the dependency checking as well.. while searching the net for possible solutions, I found that VS stores file dependencies in the .idb of the Debug/Release-folder. So if the path to that file contains some forward slashes, VS is probably not able to find this file (coz Windows has a fuckin' problem with 'em, y know...)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement